Locations for star trails/meteor showers

Name
Nicky
Edit My Images
Yes
I love watching meteor showers and I have read really interesting threads on here about star trails , I would love to take my camera out next time instead of just watching especially with the meteor showers coming up in August. Can anyone suggest suitable locations or areas ?

Where I live is a city area, lots of lights so I know I have to get away from the lights so I am looking probably to drive no longer than an hour away from Heathrow really ? is there anyone in this very light polluted part of the south who has any ideas or suggestions ?

Last year I drove around Iver which was pretty dark but I could still see lights . :cool:

Hello Nicky, I used to live in Uxbridge and Ive got say your going to hard pressed to find anywhere without light pollution. Have you had a look around somewhere Like Stokenchurch or Little Chalfont.

I'm in west London too (Harrow) and I wouldn't consider any kind of sky shooting within 50 miles of the capital, unless you want an orange glow over everything.

If you look at one of those "light pollution" maps of Britain, you can see that one of the clearest areas in the south of the country is Salisbury Plain.
I went down there a few years ago to try and shoot the Perseid meteor shower, and although it was a clear night it was not too successful, due to lack of meteor activity.
It's a fair drive from London and you should be prepared for disappointment.

Thanks for all the advice I live near Heathrow and I have no chance here - I can view them in the garden but any attempts of photos wouldn't be worth it - I might have a drive out to Stokenchurch - or even coombe hill near the chalfonts ? I had a look at the light pollution maps and your right Salisbury would be the best place just far !

Thanks also for the link about the ISS pass too :)

Cheers everyone :)

Back