Loch Assynt reflection

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_2424-Edit.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stunning. I would love to see a "less wide" version too, but what a cracking image.

That's a great reflection! Does it need straightening though? I think so.

Nice but my first thought was maybe if that had been taken in portrait style.Like the wee bit of foreground interest too.

I love the reflections and the scene in general i'm just not sure on the composition. Your main subject is dead central and while I like the way the water leads you into the picture I can't help but think a little more attention to the rule of thirds would have imporved the image no end. Also as Gary said the castle is very small in the scene I'd love to see it filling a bit more of the frame.

Many thanks to you all for your valued comments which are very much appreciated

Stunning. I would love to see a "less wide" version too, but what a cracking image.

This was shot with at 12mm on a full frame body [5D] & only a slight crop off the top. To go less wide would mean losing some of the reflection on the LH water or reflection & water ripple on the RH side. The composition I was aiming for was the clouds & water reflection. For this shot the castle is really incidental to the image not the subject of the image.

That's a great reflection! Does it need straightening though? I think so.

The castle tower actually leans to the left and this is giving that illusion.

Nice but my first thought was maybe if that had been taken in portrait style.Like the wee bit of foreground interest too.

As just answered to EdinburghGary I was looking at the reflection being the image subject not the castle. I do have some other shots of the castle, from a different angle, which are in portrait mode which I hope to post soon.

Tom

I love the reflections and the scene in general i'm just not sure on the composition. Your main subject is dead central and while I like the way the water leads you into the picture I can't help but think a little more attention to the rule of thirds would have imporved the image no end. Also as Gary said the castle is very small in the scene I'd love to see it filling a bit more of the frame.

Thanks a1ex2001 for your comments - you posted as I was reply to previous posts.

The composition is aimed at the water reflection not the castle.

Tom

I like that a lot. There's something about its symmetry which really works here. The shape of the clouds on the right echoes the shape of the hill on the left.

Looking forward to the rest now. I love this shot, but as a result of the castle being smack bang, to me, its a major focal point and I guess I am wanting to see more of it hence my comment...

Now I understand what you were thinking I have looked again & yes I like. Nice reflections from the clouds too.

The castle tower actually leans to the left and this is giving that illusion.

Just trying to get this straight in my own head regarding straightening of my images, so please correct me if this is wrong. But, this is my thinking...

Water makes a perfectly horizontal mirror so a line between a point above land and that exact point in the reflection should be perfectly vertical? This is how I've previously judged whether a horizon is straight when there is nothing else to use. So, in this case I have used the top right corner of the tower...

straight.jpg

Needs rotating clockwise 1° or so?

Just trying to get this straight in my own head regarding straightening of my images, so please correct me if this is wrong. But, this is my thinking...

Water makes a perfectly horizontal mirror so a line between a point above land and that exact point in the reflection should be perfectly vertical? This is how I've previously judged whether a horizon is straight when there is nothing else to use. So, in this case I have used the top right corner of the tower...

Needs rotating clockwise 1° or so?

:thinking: On face value I would say that there is logic in your thinking, however if you follow this link http://www.visitourscotland.co.uk/ardvreck/index.html and look at the 2 bottom LH images. If you look at the RH of these 2 - the image will enlarge - it shows a distinct tilt to the left.

I would estimate that the image I took would be taken approx midway between these 2 images and therefore that LH tilt would also show, as it does, in my image.

To adjust the image level by 1 or so degree would result in the tower being vertical on the image wheres in reality that would actually be incorrect.

Tom

I like that a lot. There's something about its symmetry which really works here. The shape of the clouds on the right echoes the shape of the hill on the left.

Many thanks aberal for your kind comments - very much valued and appreciated.

Tom

Looking forward to the rest now. I love this shot, but as a result of the castle being smack bang, to me, its a major focal point and I guess I am wanting to see more of it hence my comment...

Point taken Gary, but in the posting title it referenced 'reflection' not 'castle' - working through some others and will post in another thread.

Tom

Very nice! :)

It has a very calming feel to it. Nothing to distract and everything to enjoy as balanced elements. Wonderous simplicity :)

Many thanks tjc, hunter20ga and siejones for your kind comments which are very much appreciated and valued

Tom

Very much value your comments Woodsy - much appreciated.

Tom

Back