Critique Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle. Two rescued from the bin from an amazing morning

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I had originally binned these months ago but had them still on the card. I was going through images in the card when I had returned from running a 3 day 121 workshop with a client. I took them here early on our last morning in the hope of reflections but the winds was just too much. The memories of this wonderful morning back in May came flooding back and when pulling other images off the card I saw these and went through them. Whilst they are quite similar to others the processing I've gone for a lighter, brighter, more uplifting touch for the 1st (pulled it out using curves) and the second its all about the mood and impact from the low clouds. I am annoyed the reflection isn't perfect in two but its good enough.

I've not had so much fun working on images in a long time. Its been an awful summer and I really like summer, I love the light and the colours very much and had hoped to get out more this summer.

_DSC8609 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC8622 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

They are level but the way the shore pulls out in the LHS gives the impression of a lean but its straight....

First image for me Steve, cracking stuff.(y)

Reactions: ST4
I love Kilchurn Castle and your renditions are bang on. If i had to choose I think it would it would be #2

Both stonkers, I love them both. The first is a cleaner reflection with no ripples on the water but I think the 2nd image has slightly more lively lighting (not saying there's anything wrong with the light in the 1st, it's gorgeous.) and I prefer the hint of the ripple on the water. If I had to choose and it's not an easy choice but it would be the 2nd image for me.

I've passed it a few times but never stopped to take photos, next time, I will.

I think as photographers, we should get a petition going for the relocation of those pylons. ;-)

Two "Cracking" shots Steve, I'm liking both of these very much, but if I had to choose it would probably just about be #2.(y)

George.

Hard to choose but the second is just swinging it for me, slightly warmer left hill side and the shape of the clouds/mist

No 2 for me Steve although both lovely. The water in the second just adds a bit more of interest to me, brings the image alive.
Great stuff.

No 2 for me Steve although both lovely. The water in the second just adds a bit more of interest to me, brings the image alive.
Great stuff.

See that is what bugs me about it. I like the water mill pond still. It is what I chase. I'd agree the 2nd is the more dynamic image but the restfulness of one makes it the one I would print for myself.

See that is what bugs me about it. I like the water mill pond still. It is what I chase. I'd agree the 2nd is the more dynamic image but the restfulness of one makes it the one I would print for myself.

Each to their own Steve......that's the beauty of it!

Can't wait for Autumn and for some subtle mists here, the colours will be nice. Easier to take and a bit more of a lie in too

Love to come up one day in Autumn......bit too far however.

It really has to be 2nd one. The castle has a bit if the needed light. If you lift it a tiny bit it should be excellent.

I'm looking at yours here as its the yardstick for this spot.

http://www.longlensphotography.co.uk/top-land/h5090c0f9#h5090c0f9

ok I wasn't there but suspect the sun arced round further in your shot than in mine(before going into cloud) giving a better lighting pattern. I could pull out a bit more but the way the light fell just wasn't as nice as the way it fell when you went.

You still have the bench mark on this location IMHO

First one is as nice as you've taken up there.

No.1 for me Steve, prefer the one with reflections and some lovely light albeit not catching the castle but brings out the greens very nice. Surprised you binned No.1, It has reflections :exit:
I was there in December and its a stunning little location even though I stood in the boggy field for hours waiting for the rain to stop for a brief few minutes. A day I wont forget. Cant wait to get back up there in Oct

Lovely shots and well rescued. Second photo for me

Can't wait for Autumn and for some subtle mists here, the colours will be nice. Easier to take and a bit more of a lie in too
- - - and if the mists were lower you'd be able to hide the pylons and power lines!

Very nice Steve

- - - and if the mists were lower you'd be able to hide the pylons and power lines!

Thats the idea. I've never actuall done an Autumn here but with the wooded banks and grassy hill with some mist I think it would be lovely jubbly. Just so long as its wisps of mist, not that dark depressing fog that obscures the view.

I'm surprised you haven't done an autumn one there Steve, with all that water and love of reflections.

I'm surprised you haven't done an autumn one there Steve, with all that water and love of reflections.

This Autumn I will. Last September I was out in France and last October I focussed on Glencoe and the Trossachs. This year it will be done :D Non stop reflective landscaping, there is nothing better.

Personally, I prefer the first with the spot on reflections! But both are lovely shots.

I know you love your reflections but for me in landscape photography mist is amazing and you have a bit of both elements!

I know you love your reflections but for me in landscape photography mist is amazing and you have a bit of both elements!

IMHO you can never have water that is too still but too much mist and you've not shot at all.

I've been on Skye and although had a great time and enjoyed the morning light at the Quairang and sunset at Elgol I am much more a lakes and mountains type of guy than sunset at sea. I'm just not that fussed about sunsets and sunrises unless they bring good light. I enjoyed doing a non reflective landscape and loved seeing the view, but nothing does it quite for me as a still water reflection. I guess its mine and a million other peoples things...

Back