Loch Eil Morning

Great light and the sloping treeline gives an almost arrowhead shape with the reflection. The cottage is a useful inclusion to help with scale.

It's nicely contained, since there's no sky in frame. That concentrates attention on the land.

It has depth - foreground, mid-ground and distance.

Though the mid-ground has the light, it's the distance that draws me in (I want to be on the hill - I imagine being there). So my eye, after a moment of distraction by the dominant light, goes there to find engagement first.

Then, from curiosity (as in "have I missed something?") it sweeps downwards, hardly pausing on the middle reaches that are the best-lit but not terribly interesting (unless you're a student of forestry), to explore the watery foreground, where the delicate creases of the water are discovered. They are recessive - they don't shout - but are sensitively significant.

The house provides a keynote without which the whole image might be seen as too diffuse, and a reference of scale. You might say the same of the boat but it's less important, though there is a minor dialogue between the two within the picture-space.

Last edited:
Nice shot

Great light and the sloping treeline gives an almost arrowhead shape with the reflection. The cottage is a useful inclusion to help with scale.
Reflections.

Reflections.

Reflections.

That’ll do nicely :)
- makes me homesick! beautiful shot!
I like that, nice shot!
Nice shot
Aye, right on my doorstep. Nice one Jason, Loch Eil and surrounding area is so underrated.

Thanks very much all.

It's nicely contained, since there's no sky in frame. That concentrates attention on the land.

It has depth - foreground, mid-ground and distance.

Though the mid-ground has the light, it's the distance that draws me in (I want to be on the hill - I imagine being there). So my eye, after a moment of distraction by the dominant light, goes there to find engagement first.

Then, from curiosity (as in "have I missed something?") it sweeps downwards, hardly pausing on the middle reaches that are the best-lit but not terribly interesting (unless you're a student of forestry), to explore the watery foreground, where the delicate creases of the water are discovered. They are recessive - they don't shout - but are sensitively significant.

The house provides a keynote without which the whole image might be seen as too diffuse, and a reference of scale. You might say the same of the boat but it's less important, though there is a minor dialogue between the two within the picture-space.

Food for thought. Thanks for your feedback. (y)

Back