Loch Morlich

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen quite a few from here but mostly from the car park further down the loch (of which I have many too). However, the conditions were pretty hairy this day but the light was smashing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Loch Morlich by pottering around, on Flickr

Beautiful shot! Is the apparent vignette on the top corners from the lens or post processed in? Or was that natural that the sky was only bright in center of frame? Very interesting and complicated lighting going on!

Beautiful shot! Is the apparent vignette on the top corners from the lens or post processed in? Or was that natural that the sky was only bright in center of frame? Very interesting and complicated lighting going on!

Cheers Bill. I did add a small vignette but was adding to the conditions as they were. There was more light in the centre top of frame coming from a break in the clouds between me and the mountains.

Very nice. My son and his family are on holiday at Aviemore this week, and have been to Loch Morlich. We all love this area.
Loch Ness today , apparently.

It really is all about the light for making this such a dramatic shot, plus the sky is brooding enough to remind us that a shower may never be far away in the Highlands!

What an excellent juxtaposition between the seemingly tropical beach and the Scottish highland trees and mountains.

It looks a bit over-filtered for me leading to looking a little unbalanced top to bottom, as though you've tried to over-dramatise the sky. You say the light was as it appears, so it might be worth lightening the top a bit.

I spy a rather cool looking road/track up the mountain in the background though - I'll have to do a bit of research on that for next time I'm up there.

I love the amosphere in the image and the contrast in light - perhaps a little too much on PP as the foreground does look a little too bright although it's not a lot to be honest. Great image (y)

I spy a rather cool looking road/track up the mountain in the background though - I'll have to do a bit of research on that for next time I'm up there.

That just takes you up cairngorm mountain if you just follow the road up to the base station and from there you can get the train to the ptarmigan.

Very nice. My son and his family are on holiday at Aviemore this week, and have been to Loch Morlich. We all love this area.
Loch Ness today , apparently.

Thanks Tony. It's a great place for family. we go a few times year. However, it's also somewhere that rewards the presistent when it comes to weather.

It really is all about the light for making this such a dramatic shot, plus the sky is brooding enough to remind us that a shower may never be far away in the Highlands!

Thanks Peter - it was a great day for photography and hot chocolate!

What an excellent juxtaposition between the seemingly tropical beach and the Scottish highland trees and mountains.

It looks a bit over-filtered for me leading to looking a little unbalanced top to bottom, as though you've tried to over-dramatise the sky. You say the light was as it appears, so it might be worth lightening the top a bit.

Cheers Andy. I did darken the top down a little (not much, promise) so guilty as charged! I will conceed that having lightened the top it does look a little more balanced - nice one. It's always good to have a second opinion on pp.. Here's the adjusted version (also straigthened as I think it was a little squint on hindsight):

IMG_3226 by pottering around, on Flickr

I love the amosphere in the image and the contrast in light - perhaps a little too much on PP as the foreground does look a little too bright although it's not a lot to be honest. Great image (y)

Thanks Stuart. As mentioned above - i've lightened the top up again and feel more in keeping with the conditions that day. The foreground was that bright (it was only 3 weeks ago, so mid summer sun. The Cairngorms were getting totaly dumped on).

That just takes you up cairngorm mountain if you just follow the road up to the base station and from there you can get the train to the ptarmigan.

Getting up to the top by the funicular is great for us that day as we had our kid with us and he loved it. However, once at the top you're not allowed out of the station. I'd rather head up the plateau on foot from the base station as you're quite high at this point anyway. The corries are superb for photography too:

IMG_3624 by pottering around, on Flickr

Back