Lockerbie Wildlife Trust, Reserve Red Squirrels

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a run out to the
Lockerbie Wildlife Trust,
Reserve
Wanted to photograph Red Squirrels but after talking to the warden there seems to be a big problem and the squirrels are far and few between. Apparently there is a woman who has over the last 2 years or so been trapping the Reds, sometimes left in trap over night to be found dead in the mornings. reported on numerous occasions to the police without any action being taken.
We spent a good 4 hours with nothing to show.
Anyone suggest where we might find Reds with at least a good chance?
Thanks,
Russ.

Russ,

We have lots here on the Isle of Wight - but a long way for you to come I guess !

This is one of our regular visitors, taken form the comfort of my Settee through open patio doors. Cheeky chap even poked his tongue out at me !

q Red Squirrel.jpg

Had a run out to the
Reserve
Wanted to photograph Red Squirrels but after talking to the warden there seems to be a big problem and the squirrels are far and few between. Apparently there is a woman who has over the last 2 years or so been trapping the Reds, sometimes left in trap over night to be found dead in the mornings. reported on numerous occasions to the police without any action being taken.
Thanks,
Russ.

I can only think that if you looked up the Wildlife Trusts in the various areas they would have the local insights to advise on/about.

Also, AFAIK many of the Reds (everywhere?) will be feeding on their main foods that are higher up in the tree canopies and that of course can influence the numbers seen lower down and on the ground. Again AFAIK once food becomes more scare in the upper canopy they do come down to ground forage more often.

Had a run out to the
Reserve
Thanks,
Russ.

That's quite shocking. I have spoken to the guy that runs/looks after Eskrigg a few times and pre pandemic, I used to try and go at least twice a year. I remember how exciting it was to see my first red there (second ever) but not long after that sighting, there were many others and I was literally spoilt for choice as to where to point the camera.

It's a sad day when somebody sees the need to be destructive against native wildlife for no good reason. She will be looking at prison or a hefty fine if she's ever dealt with by the law. If the police won't act, then it might be an idea to contact local or even national wildife organisations, NatureScot for example.

I had heard the reds at Eskrigg had also suffered some kind of disease, it may have been squirrel pox but I'm not sure. A friend of mine was there recently and he said the reds are very sparce just now. It's a shame as the 'warden' has put hours over the years into encouraging and providing for the reds there.

Not a million miles from Lockerbie at all, you have the whole Dumfries and Galloway forest area, there are many red squirrel forest walks and the like to follow. There's also Alan McFadyen's sparrowhawk hide, you pay for the privilege but you'd be guaranteed reds there, unless they too have had problems. I've not been to that hide since pre pandemic but there were tons of red visits the last time I was there.

Russ I probably can't help again too far south best chance in the south is the island populations

I'm stunned someone would want to trap or harm a red squirrel , really really stunned. Strange I thought as a nation this is one animal we all simply adore.

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but this one is flying miles over my head I just can't figure this at all!!

Dale fantastic post buddy !!

stu

Hi, Just a follow up. Returned today for another try, only saw the one but that is what I wanted to see, only managed 4 images and this is the best one along with what surprised us young Jays we thought very late in the season but also a female Blackbird with a beak of worms.
Red Squrrel.jpgYoung Jay.jpg

I wonder what was screwed to the tree, looks like remanants of cloth???

Yep, I've seen whole skulls on the trees there.

Dalbeattie Forest, Galloway? First time I saw Reds there was one sat up in a tree that kept throwing Beech Mast at my wife! Literally as she moved it ran to stay within throwing range. At first I thought she was being funny when she complained it was throwing things at her, then realised it genuinely was seemingly aiming at her.

Dalbeattie Forest, Galloway? First time I saw Reds there was one sat up in a tree that kept throwing Beech Mast at my wife! Literally as she moved it ran to stay within throwing range. At first I thought she was being funny when she complained it was throwing things at her, then realised it genuinely was seemingly aiming at her.

Was it something she said to/about it;)

Back