LoFi images

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I've developed an interest in LoFi type images. It was kicked off by the "disposable camera photo challenge" and my subsequent efforts with disposable plastic/toy cameras.
From there I found that not every image needs to be super sharp to be interesting.

I looked at Holga and Diana images and found some to be good. I'd like to try making a few images in that style but am not keen to pay so much for colour film processing, especially as so many frames might be spoiled by the "features and flaws" in the typical toy cameras used. I process my own B&W and will play with those for a while, but I wanted to try some colour LoFi images..

So, here's a couple (possibly the first of many) of LoFi, Holga/Diana style images from digital files....
I found that my image viewer/editor (gThumb) even has a Lomo effect filter.. Maybe this is cheating, but the image is the goal, not where it comes from, init?

WINDMILL.jpgSAM_3066Lomo.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that this treatment can be applied to almost any photo.
It seems that the mild effects that I am adding are already well used to direct the viewer to the centre of the image, maybe not a lot to do with Lomo style which may be more extreme. Anyway, it's fun messing with them.

treeSaddLom.jpg

Here's the same scene, but on film (and the scan processed the same way)..

treeSaddF100Lomo.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting set of images!
Unless I'm mistaken you're shooting film, scanning and adding effects?

I was tempted by £10 of "holga" plastic lens with a M43 mount which I use on my Olympus mirrorless digital cameras.
It really changes your perspective and having a 'what you see is what you get' view helps with composition etc, though I usually accentuate the natural character after the fact too. I find that the heavy vignette, soft focus beyond the centre etc. really brings the eye on the middle of the image - so 1:1 crop works well.

The results are "marmite" to some but I enjoy it. I've put an album on Flickr though it looks like a while since I went out with that lens on the camera

I like your set of Holga images.
Only the last image of mine is from film. This has a good amount of vignette added (maybe overly heavy).
I guess that it complies with the film roots of this style. So far, it's a little bit of fun with my images and a new perspective for my outings without laying out for colour film, processing and a suitable MF camera.
I have a few simple plastic "reusable" cameras for 35mm to try out, these will provide the necessary poor image quality I need. (The post processed digital files work well for me....).

I run a few test rolls of film, but I forget which camera they are from, so I take a picture of the camera with the first frames of the roll.
This has to be through a mirror. A week ago, I broke the mirror... oh, a bit more bad luck with old camera purchases might be due.
Still, the films need some form of ID. I pressed my shaving mirror into service. It's a bit small for selfies.

Another test roll, in a "reusable" camera. fixed focus, shutter, exposure etc.

Cropped, Fomapan 100. selfie.jpg

Last edited:
My fascination for "LoFi" cameras continues.
Most bought on the auction site, where they generally cost less than the postage cost. I can't be too upset when some arrive with faults.
Those that look as if they could work are taken to my usual short walk patch for a dozen frames.
The latest to be good enough for a test is a Lomo Cosmic Symbol, a 35mm scale focus mechanical camera.
Focus is an issue for me, I'm not used to scale focus and the use of more open apertures makes this more important.

Here's one that came out well, I think that it's not a LoFi cam in the same sense as most others.
bridgesLom.jpg

The slow shutter speeds may be beyond my ability to hold steady....
FastTrain.jpg

Whilst, on a different day in very good light (waiting for a train), my reusable no-name camera gave this.
WaitingForTrain.jpg

I should stop buying them.... and use those i have.

The latest to be good enough for a test is a Lomo Cosmic Symbol, a 35mm scale focus mechanical camera.

I love the Cosmic/Smean cameras, I have a few which were either mine as a kid or my sisters. Once you get used to them you can do really well although I always had two with film loaded one with 100 and one with 400 ASA/ISO film which gave me something to use in various light conditions. If you do want to have a try with a Holga Dave let me know and I have one I would gladly send to you. The problem with these lofi cams such as the Holga is you have to run a bit of film through to work out exactly what they are going to do in order to know where it's best to use them!

They certainly have a charm Dave. I can see the appeal. Well taken :D

looking at the date on you posting Dave I'm not sure why it flashed up as a new post ?

Thanks for the comments guys.
The old problem has reappeared. It's a kind of GAS. I keep buying vintage cameras that might work well for the FFFSFA challenge and, rather than get out with those that work well, I fell into a routine of buying and testing. The testing is done around home and on our regular canal walk, so no new scenes.
It's still fun, but not much output from it. As yet, I've not been tempted to buy an old digicam for this.
(Today, I await the arrival of a 120 Billora Bella 66 in dubious condition bought on the auction site for 99p.... expectations are not high.)

EDIT: a first for me. The Bilora arrived. It had extensive corrosion all over and smelled unpleasant. It looked as if it had been stored in a garden shed for years and smelled as if it had been used as an ashtray during that time... maybe one for a direct trip to the bin.

Last edited:
I love the Cosmic/Smean cameras, I have a few which were either mine as a kid or my sisters. Once you get used to them you can do really well although I always had two with film loaded one with 100 and one with 400 ASA/ISO film which gave me something to use in various light conditions. If you do want to have a try with a Holga Dave let me know and I have one I would gladly send to you. The problem with these lofi cams such as the Holga is you have to run a bit of film through to work out exactly what they are going to do in order to know where it's best to use them!
Thank you for your offer of a Holga for me to try. It could be the direction that this part of my photography is going. The tendency is to test cameras, keep the good, sideline the poor and buy more, when I should actually "use" those that have been proven to deliver the kind of look that I like.

Back