Lomo / Holga photography

Edit My Images
No
I've recently become fascinated with Lomo / Holga camera's, does anybody have one? It'd be interesting to see results...

I dont have one, but they look so much fun!

If you google lomo or even search for lomo/holga in flickr, you will see some stunning examples of what the plastic baby can do!
:D

I got a Lomo LC-A last year off ebay. I must have got one made on a really bad day. It's total crap. It takes absolutely perfect pictures just like from my 35mm slr and compact 35mm cameras.

I have a Holga and love it.

fleetwood.jpg

I've recently bought the Holgamods cap lens for my 40D and while it's not quite the same, I still find it fun to use.

I've been using Digital for the last few years but, like many, started to become intrigued by getting back into film and medium format in particular.

Whilst looking around and about, I came across a great deal of info on Lomography and whilst waiting for a decent RZ67 to come up somewhere at a good price, I bought a Holga 120N off ebay.

It arrived yesterday and I've spent some time playing with it. The great thing about it is that the camera has a hot shoe - this fires a flash transmitter so I've playing with some strobist type shots on B&W and a couple with colour neg film. I have no idea when I'll be able to get the films processed but it's exciting not knowing how well I've done or what on earth the Holga will have done to the exposure.

I'll be playing more with the camera over the next couple of weeks and will post some of the results (if I even manage to get anything) when I can.

Tim

Some cracking pictures there guys, do you use a negative scanner to covert to JPG? Or have them developed to disc??

I've got a Holga and a Lomo. I love them both but they are very different beasts. The LC-A is actually a pretty decent auto compact but the Holga is a nightmare-to-use peice of plastic! I personally find the hit rate is better from the LC-A but if you can get a goodun the results from the Holga are hard to beat.

Some Holga

2516070394_8cca8775e9_o.jpg

2516070334_eaba860726_o.jpg

2515979673_0967bef465_o.jpg

Some lomo

915790060_b35c4f7b90_o.jpg

915792014_ae3610672b_o.jpg

914943995_6608662521_o.jpg

If I shoot negs I tend to get prints done and scan the prints if I want to upload them. You'll need a pretty decent film scanner if you want decent results from scanning film (neg or transparency). I've got a flatbed Epson scanner which is OK for photos but not great for film (the lomo shots above are scanned from trans on my Epson).

you should be able to pick up a second hand LC-A on ebay for about £50, I wouldn't spend any more than that on one. I'd recommend getting one of those first. If you like the use and results go for a Holga. They are more difficult to use and you will have to either send off your 120 film to get processed for find a mini-lab somewhere. It's not cheap, unless you do it yourself.

Great shots, love the Lomo ones! Out of interest, do scanners with negative carriers actually scan any size negatives?

Great shots, love the Lomo ones! Out of interest, do scanners with negative carriers actually scan any size negatives?

Standard flatbed film scanners (ie. Epson 4490 / Canon 8600/8800F) come with 35mm and 120 film holders and probably holders for slides as well. Holga/Lomo run 120 film as standard, so one of these scanners should do the trick.

You really have to be sure what scanner you are buying and what it is capable of scanning.
A lot don't scan M/F, do a search on Ebay "film scanner" nine out of ten scanners will only scan 35mm.

:)

My (now relatively old) Canon CanoScan8000F flatbed came with holders for 35mm negs and mounted slides but not for 120 slides. I just cut a holder using the outline of the neg holder and cut out places for 2 2 1/4" square slides and it works a treat.

I use a Lomo Fisheye which is 35mm and scan the negs (slides need more accurate exposure than is possible IMO) on a Minolta DiMage ScanDual IV.

Here's one I took earlier in the year.

2517594565_8687f33a39_o.jpg

Back