London By Night

Name
Kalin
Edit My Images
Yes
Sometimes when I have some free time I go around London and make photos by night.

I want to share two of the last couple of days and to receive some feedback, even negative.
I believe this is the way to improve myself a little.

London by Night by kalpachev, on Flickr

London by Night by kalpachev, on Flickr

Canon 6D + Sigma 35mm

To be honest for me they're both far to under exposed...this is a scene that I'm oddly familiar with consider I've always lived in Warwickshire and I know how hard it is to get a decent exposure here without loosing areas to blown highlights..especially on the HOP since it is only partially illuminated :(

The first, I think that you could have got away with a little more exposure in camera and then also pulled some more detail out of the RAW file to overall improve the scene unless you wish to merge multiple exposures to create a scene (y)

The second I actually think you've done rather well (y) you've got detail in both the illuminated and dark areas but I think overall the exposure need to come up a little bit and then you could also stand to raise the shadow detail a little (y)

Welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sure that you'll enjoy it here (y)

Matt

I've just done a really quick 1 minute edit of the second one, to show the kind of information that could be pulled out of it, I've raised the exposure, knocked the highlights back a little and cooled off the white balance to compensate a little for the warmth of the lighting :)

BDST58040813 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Please say if you wish me to remove the edit (y)

Hello,

I don't know why I always prefer it little bit darker.
But your version is very good too, much more details.

Definitely I need to practice more with the tripod, I have only little experience using it during the night.

Thank you very much for the advices.
You can leave the photo, ofcourse.

Regards,
Kalin

Hi Kalin,

I like the first shot particularly. I would take Matthew's point but would have to say that bar bringing out a little of the shadow areas it works well. This is a night shot after all and the heavy contrast between light and dark, for me, in this sort of shot is a must.

On the composition, I feel that the negative space at the bottom of the image could be used better, especially with the lead in line from the bridge coming almost half way up the rhs. I'd be tempted to crop up a little from the bottom and bring more of the image into play. It's a little tight on the left by Big Ben especially as your eye is drawn over the bridge left to right and up to it. Great execution though.

On the second, lines are nice and straight, nice amount of movement in the water, perhaps a little tight on framing again. I'd agree with Matthew that it is quite underexposed though. Longer exposures at night are always going to give you a lot of tungsten white balance as well, so have a play in PP to see how much you can bring back without giving an obvious all over tone to it. Try using a mix of changing the white balance with tints to get it a bit closer.

Appreciated.

I am quite new with the tripod and with the photography too.
Tight of framing - yes, may be my mistake as I try to "zoom" to bring more "details" up.

I will try more exposure definitely,
Just need some more free time to go around :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,
Kalin

Going to say I prefer Matts edit (maybe I'd tone it down ever so slightly).

#2 is the pick of the two. #1 is ok compositionally, but I'm not a huge fan of the overly starred lights.

I just don’t think the compositions are very good or striking, I see that some sort of abstract framing has been attempted here, but they don’t work for me, sorry.

Matthew I think your edit improves the image no end .. the original is just far too dark for my taste

What can I say Chris I live an breath night time photography...I've taken far more photos at night that I've taken in the day time :D

Good to hear Matthew.. hopefully you can get over your recent Car woes etc and get back up here in the North for another night at the Kilns

I do hope so :) it's surprising how long it's taking to get back fit :(

Back