London Camera Exchange (LCE)

Edit My Images
No
A quick thumbs up for LCE. I recently sold them a camera (online/by post). Was messaged on the same day that it was received by them saying that it had been checked and everything was OK. Payment received two days later by bank transfer.

Same price that WEX offered (but part ex, not a straight sale) and £20 more than MPB. A low price deal though - £300 plus, like the others, free collection.

I had a price for my D750 today from LCE, £30.00 less than MPB, but MPB had not seen camera, BUT LCE OFFERED me £20.00 more on each of two lenses, so swings and roundabouts I would be a tenner better off.

Now, big decision, do I go for the Panasonic G9 or stay with the Nikon FX.

Last edited:
I had a price for my D750 today from LCE, £30.00 less than MPB, but MPB had not seen camera, BUT LCE OFFERED me £20.00 more on each of two lenses, so swings and roundabouts I would be a tenner better off.

Now, big decision, do I go for the Panasonic G9 or stay with the Nikon FX.

I'm tormenting myself with a similar decision, I have that urge to go back to FF and was thinking on a Sony A7RII, but an upgrade of my G80 to the G9 is also very tempting - phenomenal camera the G9, one of the better all-round ML cameras on the market, despite being 'only' an M43 sensor.

Interesting, I very nearly sold some recent gear to LCE - I took the stuff into a Bristol shop and got a quote there and then which I was happy with. They offer more money for part ex, but unfortunately didn't have the new stuff I wanted in their store, and they can only give you credit for the specific store you're in.

So I called the central LCE service (where you can send the gear away and get credit to apply to any store) and the guy was very unhelpful. First he gave a lower quote, then I asked if I could get the quote I'd already been given in store, and he either didn't understand the question or was being very difficult about it.

In the end I decided not to bother since he didn't seem interested, and I went with Wex.

I'd be more than happy to sell to them directly in store though!

I have had great service from Gosforth; really good team led by John.

I did part-ex with LCE on some of my EF-S lenses a number of years ago when I went full frame.

Not only were they cheaper for the 17-40 than anywhere else. It also ordered me a sensible price on the trade-in.

Interesting comments about the Pany G9 and FF as I'm in a similar dilemma. Should I sell my GH3 and go for a G9 or a Sony A7III. Sony better low light and dyn range etc, G9 lighter lenses and probably all the image quality I need - compromise either way. Decisions, decisions. Think I'll nip down to LCE in Manchester for a play.

I do t know much about Panasonic cameras; just wondering what your current camera doesn't do for you?

Should I sell my GH3 and go for a G9 or a Sony A7III
I've had my G9 for 9 months now. I use it almost exclusively with the 100-400. Superb combination and weighs a small fraction of what my Canon FF with the 80-200 did. As for Sony: I've owned several of their cameras and currently partner an A65 and Tamron 16-300 with the G9. Where the G9 just works the Sony has to be kept an eye on because there are occassional glitches. The real advantage of M43 over FF for me is the size and weight difference between the M43 and FF lenses.

Yes, totally agree. Weight is a big thing for me and I have a few M43 lenses so it would be cheaper to stay with the system rather than be seduced by FF. I'm sure FF would probably give me better IQ, but I may often not get images simply because I didn't have the camera with me. I think I'll wait for another Pany cashback!!

I'm tormenting myself with a similar decision, I have that urge to go back to FF and was thinking on a Sony A7RII, but an upgrade of my G80 to the G9 is also very tempting - phenomenal camera the G9, one of the better all-round ML cameras on the market, despite being 'only' an M43 sensor.

I am only looking at the G9 because it seems to be a real leap in image quality. I think the IBIS cancels out some of the low light disadvantages, and how many times do I actually take low light images. It’s the weight saving over my D750 interests me most, for the camera and three specific lenses the D750 is 2.45kg, and for the G9 with equivalent three lenses it’s 1.530 kg. Saving a large bag of flour in extra weight!
If I add in my Sigma 100-400 contemporary at 1.160 kg, the Panasonic equivalent is 0.520 kg, and probably better image stabilisation. I could also swap my tripod for a slightly lighter version, but think I would stick with the manfrotto 55CX Pro for ultimate stability with lighter camera gear.

Interesting comments about the Pany G9 and FF as I'm in a similar dilemma. Should I sell my GH3 and go for a G9 or a Sony A7III. Sony better low light and dyn range etc, G9 lighter lenses and probably all the image quality I need - compromise either way. Decisions, decisions. Think I'll nip down to LCE in Manchester for a play.

Take an card and try to get some images and have a play at home. It does seem the best of micro 4/3rds to me. I also looked at the GH 5 but don’t do video with my camera so it would have to be the G9, which does have video capabilities as well, but it isn’t a priority for me. I have never video’ed with my Nikon gear, and maybe used my iPhone a handful of times for video in 4 years I’ve had it.

Back