London - Candid or Voyeur

new2me

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I took a stroll around London for the first time in a few years the last couple of days, taking a few snaps of people on the way. I know some consider the use of zoom lenses to be voyeuristic, but here's a few shots.

Girl with dirty feet
9zn9.jpg

Happy girls
pwgd.jpg

Angry man - no idea what his problem was, but this fella scared everyone off of Nelson's Column a few minutes after i'd taken the previous shot.
8f8r.jpg

The model
bm9r.jpg

The photographers
hib9.jpg

The gangnam?
2bcz.jpg

Guy in a tutu
8oo3.jpg

Nothing wrong in a little dirt on feet, better than men in saddles and socks!

Anyway men with long lenses is just pervy, I can't even read a book in peace!

;)
No:5 clearly the guy with the Canon is just :wacky:

But I love the Ladies saddles :)

H

Last edited:
First shot is the best for me. Love the depth of field on it.

I imagine it being part of a tourism campaign to visit London. Great shots though, all of them.
Timing is amazing on that last shot! How many did you have to take to catch that "perfect" one?

That's a great fun set of summer London people! Like Jason, I really like the timing of the knives in the last one! (y)

Candid or Voyeur? That depends if you're the defending or the prosecuting barrister! :p

As photographers, we get a hard enough time with various papers and people thinking of us as voyeuristic and pervy. We don't need to help with that mis conception. By describing ourselves, or other photographers in that way. Surely its only voyeurism if you get sexual pleasure from it?

Anyway the photos. All look a little soft to me and all could do with atleast a gentle touch in LR. They all seem to be ateast 2/3rd stop underexposed, and would benefit from that correction as well as a little further PP to add atleast a little contrast and a little sharpen.

Of the photos, I think number 1 is the best. I like the way you've placed her within the frame. I also like the gangnam shot alot - its fun.

Number 2 is nice, but you've struggled with exposure.

I think you've struggled with any form of interaction with your subjects, and on the remaining photos there isn't really any engagement

Some great fun shots indeed , that angry man is the pick for me lol !
Cheers Vince, but believe me, he was no fun :D
First shot is the best for me. Love the depth of field on it.

I imagine it being part of a tourism campaign to visit London. Great shots though, all of them.
Timing is amazing on that last shot! How many did you have to take to catch that "perfect" one?
Cheers Jason. I had to watch 3 performances before I could judge it just right .... no not really :D I think I had a couple of 6 shot bursts to be honest

That's a great fun set of summer London people! Like Jason, I really like the timing of the knives in the last one! (y)
Candid or Voyeur? That depends if you're the defending or the prosecuting barrister! :p
Thanks Jonathan ;)

As photographers, we get a hard enough time with various papers and people thinking of us as voyeuristic and pervy. We don't need to help with that mis conception. By describing ourselves, or other photographers in that way. Surely its only voyeurism if you get sexual pleasure from it?
Agreed.

Anyway the photos. All look a little soft to me and all could do with atleast a gentle touch in LR. They all seem to be ateast 2/3rd stop underexposed, and would benefit from that correction as well as a little further PP to add atleast a little contrast and a little sharpen.

Of the photos, I think number 1 is the best. I like the way you've placed her within the frame. I also like the gangnam shot alot - its fun.

Number 2 is nice, but you've struggled with exposure.

I think you've struggled with any form of interaction with your subjects, and on the remaining photos there isn't really any engagement
Cheers for all that (y) My monitor isn't calibrated, so a lot of my stuff may well be underexposed - #2 was way out I must admit. It's not often I take photos of people but have noticed softness in facial features before - not sure if that's my fault or the lens, so will practice a bit more (y) And I will look for more engagement next time too.

Cheers Nick (y)

I decided to look at a couple of shots again.

Angry man with a tweak here and there. He still looks angry, a bit brighter but have I blown the trousers? LR says no, but my untrained eye (and uncalibrated monitor) says i've gone too far.

Tutu man, from the same burst. Only while doing this did I notice the tut had lost detail in the first post, so i've pulled that back for this one.

I think i've put too much distance between myself and some subjects, while this fella was quite close and looks sharper.

And, well, I just dont know what this guy's act was about ...

I don't think you've gone to far with the angry man. Brightening them has improved them.

I had a tweak with the first.Edit on top. Original on bottom

before_after.jpg

anyway - I've introduced a little noise as a side effect just because of the low quality jpeg. But you should be able to do better on the original.

Edits were

exposure +.33
shadows +34
blacks +25
clarity, vibrance and saturation all +5
custom tone curve based on the histogram from those changes

I don't think you've gone to far with the angry man. Brightening them has improved them.

I had a tweak with the first.Edit on top. Original on bottom

before_after.jpg

anyway - I've introduced a little noise as a side effect just because of the low quality jpeg. But you should be able to do better on the original.

Edits were

exposure +.33
shadows +34
blacks +25
clarity, vibrance and saturation all +5
custom tone curve based on the histogram from those changes

Thank you (y)

We really need more of this type of input; where someone contributes feedback with constructive tweaking AND showing exactly what they did.

Nice series of photos, by the way (y)

Cheers Hugh, it's a definite improvement as I was did wonder if i'd taken too much colour out of the girl (y)

We really need more of this type of input; where someone contributes feedback with constructive tweaking AND showing exactly what they did.

Nice series of photos, by the way (y)

I agree and thanks ;)

It's a great and varied set, I couldn't help but notice on "angry man" he seems to have blood on his pants??

I love dirty feet :naughty: - Hugh's edit has popped it a bit.

Angry man is good too - it gets you thinking - bit of blood on his pants, listening to music with a beer.

Great set of pictures, my favourite is the girls giving thumbs up(y)

Nice images.

I shot the same Tutu man last year

602299_10151124460967120_1426842469_n.jpg

It's a great and varied set, I couldn't help but notice on "angry man" he seems to have blood on his pants??

I love dirty feet :naughty: - Hugh's edit has popped it a bit.

Angry man is good too - it gets you thinking - bit of blood on his pants, listening to music with a beer.

Cheers guys (y)
Angry man was very aggressive! I'd taken a snap of the girls after they'd given me the thumbs while metering for the bronze panel above them. I took a couple of steps into the shade to see how the photos looked, then noticed people running away. Angry man was threatening people before sitting down, but was chased away by wardens that patrol the area. I noticed a scuffed/bleeding knuckle in one shot too.

Great set of pictures, my favourite is the girls giving thumbs up(y)
Cheers (y)
Nice images.
I shot the same Tutu man last year
Thanks (y) When I saw him, I did think i'd seen him on the forum before.

I thought that but blood doesn't stay red long in the air, maybe paint.
I like them all BTW :)

Whoops sorry wrong thread

As well as finally getting round to making a small adjustment to my monitor settings (based on Hugh's edit) I noticed last night that i've been exporting from lightroom at only 60% :nuts:

So I re-edited some of these to see the difference.

As well as finally getting round to making a small adjustment to my monitor settings (based on Hugh's edit) I noticed last night that i've been exporting from lightroom at only 60% :nuts:

So I re-edited some of these to see the difference.

All of these are better for the edits (y)

For web use, exporting from LR at 60-65% quality is about right. You won't notice lose of quality with that setting, especially when viewed on screen.

For print and high res exports you need 90% (above that you won't notice an improvement in quality but will notice a big increase in file size)

Thanks again Hugh (y)

Back