London City Airport

Ooh, I think you've inspired me to get down to the airport! First shot is great!

Shots are great, looks like you can get pretty close. Is that in a public area?

I really like the first shot. The heat haze behind the plane and the low height of the buildings give a great feeling of a heavy plane working hard to take off.

Thanks all, the shot was taken on public grounds. I would say that London City airport has one of the best vantage points of any airport. Get to the Royal Albert Dock DLR station and head straight out, you'll come to the water side and a walk way which stretches the entire length of the airport, giving an unrestricted view of the entire airport and runway with low level fencing and railing. Very close to the action, it's really quite unique. Great feeling to not be constantly at the long end of my Sigma 150-600 C.

Here's another shot of the same aircraft in the first shot, I do like the first though as I feel the wind sock adds a little something. I was lucky enough to be treated to some nice light during sunset as the clouds finally broke after a day of non stop rain.

London City Airport 5
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would agree with Martin's opinion on No 6, great light and colours on that one as well as the others.

First time I've seen photos taken there.Very good set,especially the light. Thanks for the 'how to get there' info. too.

Back