London has a new mayor!

:LOL: I'm looking forward to seeing a bouncy castle on every street corner!

Congrats to Boris. I doubt he can do any worse than Ken did. At least we can look forward to seeing the end of bendy buses now! (He did say he would scrap them didn't he?).

What made me laugh the most about the local elections was Gordon Brown saying his job now is to listen and lead. Personally I would have preferred him to say his job was to listen and leave! Have we had any quotes from him since the London Mayoral vote was announced?

I'd have thought his job was to listen and lead from the start, what does he think his job was up to now?

I'd have thought his job was to listen and lead from the start, what does he think his job was up to now?

LOL

What REALLY annoys me about politics, to the point that I don't bother voting, and I don't get involved usually, is this.

Election campaigns, opposition etc. All we hear is "Theyve done this, this is their fault, theyre rubbish blah blah blah"

I want to hear specific things of what YOU will do better, not what theyve done wrong! All we get is them slagging each other off, scoring brownie points off each other.

by the way :

launch_still_fletch.jpg

fastshow_396x222.jpg

I think your vote is the single most important thing you can have, it's what separates us from those poor sods living under dictatorships. Always vote Marcel, even if it's just a protest, vote for the greens if you can't think of voting for a mainline party.

I think your vote is the single most important thing you can have, it's what separates us from those poor sods living under dictatorships. Always vote Marcel, even if it's just a protest, vote for the greens if you can't think of voting for a mainline party.

Absolutely Steep, by abstaining you truly get the govt' you didn't vote for.
Incidentally what was the turn out this time?

Just hope Boris isn't another 'mad hatter'

as someone who suffers london on occasion, i will be very interested to see what boris does. Livingston got the tube network started on its repairs and upgrades, but there is a bit to do yet, and perhaps boris could sort out a discount for me for the congestion charge...

I didn't, have just moved out of London, so decided not to use my vote as I didn't consider it fair to make a decision that affects those who still live there.

Had I have voted? I'd have gone for Ken again though. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but I have a fear that Boris will struggle in this role - I guess time will tell...

Cheers,
James

I voted him as my first choice. I hate Livingstone with a passion. If I see him crossing the road, I`ll sure as hell make him run.

Such an arrogant............ *Insert as appropriate*

but I have a fear that Boris will struggle in this role - I guess time will tell...

Cheers,
James

I suspect the conservative party will not let him struggle, certainly not while they remain in opposition in government. They will make damn sure that as, currently, the most powerful conservative chap around, he will have a whole army of advisors making sure he does 'the right thing' Plus, because they are the 'opposition' they will want to prove that they can run things, so they will try that much harder to get it right in London, to prove to the country that they are worthy of government as and when election time arrives ;)

Personally, Ken never featured on my list of maybe's before voting time, I think he has made too many poor decisions over the last 8 years to have been worthy of my cross in the box.

Personally, Ken never featured on my list of maybe's before voting time, I think he has made too many poor decisions over the last 8 years to have been worthy of my cross in the box.

You and me both :LOL:

while Boris has an er unusual public profile I don't think the public voted for him, I think they voted against Gordon Brown like they did in the rest of the country.

People are p****d off with Labour becausethey're turning us all into minor criminals for petty offences because it's easy money.

I drive a vehicle with a tachograph in it, if I drive for one minute over 9 hours a day the fines are massive yet eastern european drivers are driving from one side of europe to the other without a single record of their hours until they get to the UK, when caught all the police and vosa can do is make them sit still for 11 hours then send them on their way

I'm starting to wonder if I still want to live in a country where someone can get a criminal record for leaving their bin lid up 4" while real criminals get a slap on the wrist if the police can be bothered to attend in the first place.:(

Get Brown Out

Put Mr Bean in

I am sure he will do a better job :LOL:

EDIT: let me say more

wack61 - I think the same as you, This country is getting so blinking stooped that i want to move out aswell. The goverment have not got clue to how to run a country, They put tax on everything. They force you into paying bills (for them) to keep the country running.

Oh right, yeah now i am going to stop. Can't and don't want to get in to a debate

Tony (y)

Last edited:
I suspect the conservative party will not let him struggle, certainly not while they remain in opposition in government. They will make damn sure that as, currently, the most powerful conservative chap around, he will have a whole army of advisors making sure he does 'the right thing' Plus, because they are the 'opposition' they will want to prove that they can run things, so they will try that much harder to get it right in London, to prove to the country that they are worthy of government as and when election time arrives ;)QUOTE]

I definitely agree! They will be pulling out all the stops to keep things running smoothly i reckon

I think there were 3 kinds of votes in this mayoral race.

Those who voted pro Boris
Those who voted anti Ken
and those who voted anti Labour

Had Ken been an independent, I think he would have won. With the association Ken has with Labour, I think a lot of people felt that was reason enough to vote against him.

Personally, I voted for him. I'm not pro Ken but I don't like Boris and with so much going on in London over the forthcoming years, I think Ken would be better to keep the ship sailing.

Personally, I voted for him. I'm not pro Ken but I don't like Boris and with so much going on in London over the forthcoming years, I think Ken would be better to keep the ship sailing.

it's not just one man though, Boris has the conservative party behind him, with so much riding on them winning the next general election they won't let him cock it up

Bouncy Castles and shooting bike thieves.

Had Ken been an independent, I think he would have won. With the association Ken has with Labour, I think a lot of people felt that was reason enough to vote against him.

I don't think so, he's alienated far too many people and shown really poor judgement at times. His "green" policies are just stealth taxes, another way of adding to his coffers....

I admire his loyalty to his staff, but when you have lose canons like Lee Jasper you have to know when to shut up and let him sort his own problems out. Trying to stick up for him as the evidence piled higher & higher was just political suicide IMPO. That was a major sign that Livingstone had lost the plot....

Steve

Listening to the Vanessa Feltz show on BBC Radio London yesterday, looks like Boris has got off to a very good start and is not afraid to speak up. He wants to ban eating and drinking on public transport specifically with the consumption of alcohol in mind. Also banning unruly kids from using public transport who have been caught intimidating or bullying other passengers.

Back