London Long Exposed - FINAL PHOTO ADDED

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

At the weekend I visited London to get some long exposure shots. The sky wasn’t the best as it was a horrid layer of cloud, but I got some colour of the sunset through in the first pic.

I have more to edit up and will post them when I can, but for now here are these three

London Eye 10stop by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Westminster Long Exposure by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

London Eye Movement by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Comments and Critique are welcome :)

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

I really like the photos. I'm very new to photography and am trying to develop my skills. I like the style of photographs. What processing have you done on the photos? Do you use any filters in the original shots?

I'm looking to do some photography in London myself in the next few weeks and would be interested to hear more about your experiences. Do you use a tripod, and if so, how do you get on with it. Does anyone ever bother you?

Anyway, great photos.

Blair

Hello Blair

Many Thanks.

Yes I used a 10 stop filter for all of these photos, and processing wise apart from the Westminster one where I have added a slight graduated effect to the sky the only real processing done was exposure correction and a crop.

Yes a tripod was used, it essential for this type of photography, as the exposures for these photos are 30-60 seconds, so doing these shots handheld is out of the question. I also used mirror lock-up on the camera and a remote release to trigger the shutter to reduce any vibrations in the camera that would affect the final image.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Here is a quick snap i took whilst taking the westminster shot. This shows my tripod and shutter release

247248_432221136841827_1194393938_n.jpg

Great stuff Mike. If you're ever in London, give me a shout and I will join on a photo walk.

I hate to say it but you were in the middle of the road! That's not safe!!!

I assumed stupid demonstrators had closed the area again? I bought some ND filters to do this sort of thing but still haven't got around to it. Hopefully this will inspire me to get off my butt.

I really like all three of these. I particularly like the subdued colours, as they've given the images an almost spooky, ethereal look. I really like the low angle you used for the Big Ben shot, you were fortunate to have been there when the bridge was closed to get that. Low angles like that always give an image a slightly unreal quality (in a good way) as they present a view we are not familiar with, and when the subject is such a recognisable landmark, this feeling is even more enforced.

Nicely done.

Hello Blair

Many Thanks.

Yes I used a 10 stop filter for all of these photos, and processing wise apart from the Westminster one where I have added a slight graduated effect to the sky the only real processing done was exposure correction and a crop.

Yes a tripod was used, it essential for this type of photography, as the exposures for these photos are 30-60 seconds, so doing these shots handheld is out of the question. I also used mirror lock-up on the camera and a remote release to trigger the shutter to reduce any vibrations in the camera that would affect the final image.

Hope this helps

Mike,

Thanks for the details. I have my 10 stopper turning up tomorrow and I live in London so I think I need to head up to try some shots.

I'm quite motivated now I've seen your shots!

Blair

Here is a quick snap i took whilst taking the westminster shot. This shows my tripod and shutter release

They're really good shots.

I had wondered how you managed to get those with losing your camera to a passing cyclist/truck/bus...

The second one is great.

I've been wanting to try an ND10 out for daytime urban use for ages and haven't got off my backside to buy one yet.

Thanks for a prod to remind me that I really should.

A very nice set Mike, I would have liked to have seen a little more the bottom of frame on the tower bridge long exposure maybe lower the camera angle a little to take in more of the trails :thinking:

Matt

Hi Mike, with the third one, of the Eye, did the wheel stop for a bit. The blur seems "inconsistent" (in a good way!)...you can clearly see the shape of the carriages and spokes. Do you know how you acchieved this as I really like it.

Back