London streets

Name
Erik
Edit My Images
No
Hello there! I've just started experimenting with street photography a few months ago, and have had quite a few outings in London where I study. I think it's a really rewarding process, because I get to explore the city while shooting, which is fantastic for me having moved here just under a year ago.

The selection of images I have at this point is quite big, so I would like to direct you to its dedicated page on my website if you should want to have a look. Here's the link. Navigate by browsing from left to right. At this point there is about 30 images after roughly ten outings where I've walked all day.

A preview, four of the images in the series:

DSCF2244_1024.jpg

DSCF2509_1024.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

DSCF1696_1024.jpg

I'm looking for feedback with the individual images, the edit and what you think about the series as a body of work at this point. Currently I'm at home in Norway working for the summer, but I hope to continue working with this series when I get back.

Thanks for looking!

train station pic is great. not sure what im looking at in the third pic, theres so much in focus to look at. Just seems like a random snap to me. though i like the trolley next to the bus stop lol

Hi Olelovold :)

I like all but the last one here although I think the best ones are to be found in your link. For example, the one of the girl in the yellow skirt is a very nice shot.

The shot of the guy surrounded by pigeons is also a nice shot but has more impact on the larger version in your link.

I like the humour in the photo of the guy and the one-way sign although it looks a little slanted but, nice shot anyways.

But it is the one of the couple kissing at the end of the subway which I think really has something. I can imagine it as a book/video/cd cover, something like that.

I think you are pretty good at this street photography lark (y)

#1 I like, like the buzz of activity it conveys.
#2 I would prefer a bit of a closer crop/pic to focus on the guy.
#3 Interesting ... I'm still pondering it ... has to be a good thing that it's got me thinking.
#4 Not doing anything for me.

Clicked on 'London Working' on your site and just keep getting shunted to top of page :shrug:

I have looked at these and the others, and they have the basis of a few good projects.

You are having too many problems keeping your horizontals and verticals straight... this is always very noticeable in a series of shots. Some of the exposures need adjusting.
I feel there is not always a consistency of purpose in the shutter speed choice and blurring. One or two do not seem fit in the series.

Most of these problems will be solved when you become more accustomed to the camera.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Appreciate it! I didn't post the best ones in the thread intentionally, wanted to reward the people who went and looked at the whole set :)

gramps: What issue are you having with the website? I'd be interested in finding out, the design is very new and done by myself.

Re: slanted horizons. I do this on purpose. It's something I never did before but after researching many of the legends of street photography I find that slanted horizons can add a lot of dynamic to the composition of a photo. I like it, but I can see how it could be annoying.. matter of taste, I guess.

gramps: What issue are you having with the website? I'd be interested in finding out, the design is very new and done by myself.

I'm assuming that clicking on 'London Working' would take me to a gallery/series but it doesn't, it just takes me to top of page.

That's weird. The website is built on cargocollective, I've just changed the CSS around a bit, so I don't understand what could be wrong..

I'm assuming that clicking on 'London Working' would take me to a gallery/series but it doesn't, it just takes me to top of page.

Do you not have the scroll bar at the bottom?

Yes, the scroll bar is pretty important to get, you scroll from left to right in order to see all the images, rather than pressing "next".

Back