Lonely Ant

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Alright its nothing spectacular, just a plain old simple ant but then i am just getting into Macro and photography in general, and i have to practice on something.

f3.5, 1/250, ISO 100, 35mm Zuiko macro lens.

ant2.jpg

Constructive criticism and advice welcome.

Best regards Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I quite like this one, though on my monitor (which isn't great) it looks like the focus was a smidge out. The Ants legs and the stem seem pin sharp but the rest of the ant is slightly soft. The DOF is quite shallow, even at f3.5, Neverthetless, it still makes for an interesting shot.

As an aside, you might generate a bit more interest on your posts if you embedded the picture into the post itself, rather than just a link, though this one would need to be re-sized to adhere to posting size limits.

All the best,
Dave

Is there a particular reason why you shot wide open?
Not sure if ant was running or not, much more DOF would possibly have had more in focus.
C

Thanks Dave for the reply to my posting, i thought it was slightly OOF but then i put that down to my tired old eyes.
Just a smidgen up and it would have looked great, but there you live and learn.
I got closer to the subject than i normally would do, and it surprised me that the lens focus from around two inches away, the minimum is suppose to be six inches.
Its also a shame i had to use such a wide aperture, the light was fading fast and i could not leave it go, beginners mistakes.

Best regards Paul

Ceeejay, that ant would not keep still, i will have to train them :LOL:, but the reason for the wide aperture was the light.

I can be so impatient sometimes.

Best regards Paul

Next time he wanders past, you could try upping the ISO if the lights bad. This would allow you a smaller aperture, whilst retaining the shutter speed. Not having had an Olympus, I don't know how they handle noise, but with the 30D @ ISO 800 it's not really noticable at all.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Yoby, yes i should have upped the ISO instead, maybe that would have improved the image quite a bit, still live and learn!.
I will probably go for a similar shot when the opportunity arises, this time succeeding in getting the insect pin sharp.

Best regards Paul

Ceeejay, that ant would not keep still, i will have to train them :LOL:, but the reason for the wide aperture was the light.

I can be so impatient sometimes.

Best regards Paul

Not sure where you are taking the pics but you could try a sugar solution.
Just be aware you could invite thousands into your home.
Not that its happened to me !
C

Thanks CeeJay for the tip, and i will make sure when i do it, that its far away from the house.
I may even give the birds a treat and put it near to the bird table.

P.S I will post my Azalea photograph soon.

Best regards Paul

Back