Long-eared Owl with vole

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking back through some of mi owl shots from last summer and I'm not sure how I missed this one!

Far from perfect but was a great few months watching them hunt, made me feel very privilege :)

D7000, sigma 150-500

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking :)

Long-eared Owl with Vole by Phil D, on Flickr

Don't know how you missed it either Phil ... a special moment :)

Phil that's a brilliant shot, not easy to get Long-Eared owls in the open let alone in flight, great!

Thanks, I say missed, I remember seeing it, just forgot to do owt with it!:D

Thanks, I say missed, I remember seeing it, just forgot to do owt with it!:D
I'm glad you did, I still can't believe you got a Long-Eared flying. The last one I saw hid in a gap in the foliage of a tree. I could just about see an eye when I got home with my many photographs of it...well the tree!,

Lovely shot. The bird has a very pale eye for a LEO. It looks more SEO colour

Hi Alan, thanks, the eye looks pale because its back lit, I spent at least three months with these and another pair of LEO feeding their young. I've got quite a few shots of these where the eye is very visibly orange :)

I'm glad you did, I still can't believe you got a Long-Eared flying. The last one I saw hid in a gap in the foliage of a tree. I could just about see an eye when I got home with my many photographs of it...well the tree!,

I'm no owl expert Chris but if you know where they are resident and breed, they will hunt in the last few hours of day light whilst they are feeding their young (y)

I'm no owl expert Chris but if you know where they are resident and breed, they will hunt in the last few hours of day light whilst they are feeding their young (y)
I don't know of any sites where I am in Norfolk, the ones I've seen tend to come in off the Wash during migration. I have Barn Owls pretty much everywhere I go and SEO's pretty regularly too but LEO's are a bit few and far between. I'll need to talk to some more people and see if I can find out about one near by, I think Lincolnshire has a site but I don't know where.

Cracking capture Phil not something that you see on here very often if at all.

Back