Critique Long Exposure at Night

Edit My Images
No
Hello this is my first attempt at a long exposure at night. All feedback & tips would be greatly received.

14143150142_c966742b3f_o_d.jpg

Cheers, Alan Duggan

Alan, I quite like that; I like the way the light trails seem to encapsulate the statue. I think it works well in mono, but not so sure about the pylons if in colour! The starbursts won't be to everybody's taste, but they do break up an otherwise featureless sky.

Maybe someone will come along and add to that.

Ernie

Alan, I quite like that; I like the way the light trails seem to encapsulate the statue. I think it works well in mono, but not so sure about the pylons if in colour! The starbursts won't be to everybody's taste, but they do break up an otherwise featureless sky.

Maybe someone will come along and add to that.

Ernie

Thanks for the reply Ernie.

I decided to go with Mono as the colour option option just did the photo no justice, no matter what i tried. I agree totally with the sky its very bland due to flat cloud cover :(

Again thanks for the reply i appreciate it.

Alan

Oh I rather like this one too!
Only thing that bothers me a bit is what appears to be very slight haloing along each side of the big building (which looks like a giant sand castle bw :) )
It's barely there, but it draws my eye.

you have used a small aperture to get a slow speed
this gives starry lights...which are the downside
the lights of course would be more interesting in colour
but if you thought the black to white was the way to go then you got a result but a rather dull evening shot...photographically speaking
cheers
geof

I go round that roundabout very often :)

Why black and white?

I'm not feeling this to be honest. Not much of interest going on. Why did you take it?

I'm not sure why people like to dis the star bursts, as in my amateur experience it gives a nice result and one that generally a snapshot doesn't produce. As people have said the scene isn't much eye candy but you have captured what you set out to do. I am sort of feeling if the camera could have been a bit higher you would have got more separation in the light streaks, whether that is possible here is another matter but well done on a first go, you got the recipe correct, try out some more locations :)

Gaz

Last edited:
The star bursts are caused by the small aperture, I'm guessing you used f16 or higher which is a good technique, technically your spot on but I find the subject matter a little dull.

Vibrant light at night is really best suited to colour. If you applied the same technique to a city scape or got closer in to an illuminated subject perhaps with less sky then then you may not have felt the need to turn it into a mono shot. It's not an epic failure by any standard, perhaps just need to think about the subject matter and composition a little more ?

Last edited:
Where was this taken ?

I just wondered how many of these Eros statues there are ? seen on one in London and Seftan Park, Liverpool ?

Where was this taken ?

I just wondered how many of these Eros statues there are ? seen on one in London and Seftan Park, Liverpool ?

Did you know that the one in Piccadilly, London isn't Eros at all, but rather Anteros, his brother. Otherwise known as the Angel of Christian Charity.

Londoners didn't like it, so used Eros instead. :)

I think that you've done well with this image the exposure time looks spot on you've got the exposure right with lots of detail in the statue and island, that's a great start, but you need to give a lot more thought to composition, and interest in the scene...the statue for me is too small in the scene and there's to much empty space and stuff like la posts and pilons...personally I think you should have gone onto the island and lost the light trail element of the image

I'm not sure why people like to dis the star bursts, as in my amateur experience it gives a nice result and one that generally a snapshot doesn't produce. As people have said the scene isn't much eye candy but you have captured what you set out to do. I am sort of feeling if the camera could have been a bit higher you would have got more separation in the light streaks, whether that is possible here is another matter but well done on a first go, you got the recipe correct, try out some more locations :)

Gaz

I don't think it's a case of people "dissing" I hate that phrase, it case or creating them where the scene suits a star burst, and I honestly don't think this really was the scene, for me they distract from the main subject rather than support it...as has been said above star bursts come from use of small apertures on the whole so on the whole it is controllable...

Matt

Did you know that the one in Piccadilly, London isn't Eros at all, but rather Anteros, his brother. Otherwise known as the Angel of Christian Charity.

Londoners didn't like it, so used Eros instead. :)

No I didn't, I never heard that one before. I thought it was universally known as Eros.

Hi Matt sorry you hate the phrase it was the easiest way to convey my thoughts at the time. I see what your saying with your post but admit I can't agree__for this scene anyway. As stated above the conditions were quite bland and quite a vast amount of flat sky is included so for me the addition of the starbursts adds something but hey ho we all see'e different, would be boring otherwise.

Gaz

Hi Matt sorry you hate the phrase it was the easiest way to convey my thoughts at the time. I see what your saying with your post but admit I can't agree__for this scene anyway. As stated above the conditions were quite bland and quite a vast amount of flat sky is included so for me the addition of the starbursts adds something but hey ho we all see'e different, would be boring otherwise.

Gaz

:LOL: I wouldn't worry to much purely personal as they say, my reason for not being keen on the star bursts in this instance is purely that I find the two right hand most ones to be distracting from the main subject, I think if you framed the statue with lights then the star bursts would work rather effectively

Back