Long Exposure Coastal

Edit My Images
No
Sheringham beach in Norfolk, tide coming in.
Used my HiTech 8stop 100mm filter - fantastic, no colouration at all!

Please let me know your thoughts as there's a lot of new editing techniques I've never used before - being fairly new to B&W

Cheers
Si

Black-and-White-Water.jpg

Now that's what I call blurred water! All the shots I've seen with large ND's the water has been further away and given a different look than this... maybe it's the PP that's adding to the effect as well though? Certainly different... would be interesting to see the original colour image with no PP.

Nice shot. Lovely water in this.

I agree it needs a bit more contrast and a touch of boosting on the highlights. Have a go at converting the colour version to B/W using the Gradient Map tool Black to White and drag the bottom sliders in from the left and right accordingly.

8 /10 stop filters are great fun.

I love these long exposure b&w photos. Nice diagonal with the panels. The sky is a bit fla, that's all I can critisize... you get a more powerful sky with a shorter focal.

Colour version seems to look more misty, i like them both because the clear water is showing the pebbles underneath.

That is a gorgeous shot! I love that spooky misty effect around the rocks. I did a bit of that last week and they came out really well even though it was my first attempt at it.
I like both versions for different reasons. The black & white version shows a lot more detail in the sky, but I think the rocks, pebble and misty effect shows up better in the colour version. :)

I really like that! What length shutter did you use?

Si, you don't have your Edit box ticked. Would you mind if I do an edit of your picture and then post it here on this thread? (my edits are always rubbish but i'd like a go anyway!)

Thank you all

30s exposure...at 3pm on a relatively bright day lol!

Feel free to do anything you like with it editing wise - I'm still learning B&W editing so go for it!!!!

Here goes............!!

Before:

Black-and-White-Water.jpg

And after, with just a touch of sharpening and contrast adjust (sorry for the halo's!):

Black-and-White-Water1.jpg

Last edited:
You see I don't mind either of the alternatives...

BUT (you knew that was coming!)

By upping the contrast I (personally) think you lose the softness/dreaminess of the haze of water...which is something I want to keep?

What time of day was this taken? I'm thinking about getting a BW 10 stop, I hear they create this affect at any time in the day?

Back