Long exposure help?

Name
Isabelle
Edit My Images
No
Sorry to sound very novice :shrug: but can I have some help on how to do long exposure writing, I know you need a tripod, very slow shutter speed and high ISO ( depending on light). I tried last night with a laser pointer and it came out long exposure, but I tried to write my name and it only came out as one letter. How can I do my whole name for example. I just want to learn this so I can try many future long exposure techniques.

Thanks alot:D

Sounds like your shutter closed before you finished writing. Try a longer exposure, even Bulb, and you should be OK, I've never heard of using a laser pointer, would be interesting to see the result.

Ian

Thanks for the help guys, another stupid question LOL, how do I set my camera (Canon 550D) to bulb. Sorry! haha :)

Issy said:
Thanks for the help guys, another stupid question LOL, how do I set my camera (Canon 550D) to bulb. Sorry! haha :)

Turn the top dial to M for manual, and then change your shutter speed until it changes to bulb, I think you can do it in Tv but I cannot remember without getting my camera out then select an appropriate aperture depending on your length of time you expect you exposure to be, in bulb you will need ideally a remote/cable release or trigger to lock you shutter open or failing that a bit of tape ;)

Sorry to sound very novice :shrug: but can I have some help on how to do long exposure writing, I know you need a tripod, very slow shutter speed and high ISO ( depending on light). I tried last night with a laser pointer and it came out long exposure, but I tried to write my name and it only came out as one letter. How can I do my whole name for example. I just want to learn this so I can try many future long exposure techniques.

Thanks alot:D

All a long exposure and high iso will give you is a very noisy image, best to keep the iso as low as possible.

I did some of these last week after a couple of drinks with family for a laugh.

We had some interesting results painting with light but did find that the light does not have to be that bright, a torch with only 1 led lit the worked best.

Have fun

Also be careful not to shine the laser directly in to the lens. There is a video on Youtube somewhere where someone was using a 5DII (I think) in a night club, when a laser shone straight in to the camera and screwed the sensor. Expensive mistake.

Also be careful not to shine the laser directly in to the lens. There is a video on Youtube somewhere where someone was using a 5DII (I think) in a night club, when a laser shone straight in to the camera and screwed the sensor. Expensive mistake.

Yeh go use a torch, this could end up as a very expensive experiment otherwise!

You only really need a high ISO to gather more light - not normally used when on bulb setting or for long exposures (unless you are limited to a 30 second exposure).

Keep it at ISO 200 and see what you can get done in 30 seconds I say.

You only really need a high ISO to gather more light - not normally used when on bulb setting or for long exposures (unless you are limited to a 30 second exposure).

Keep it at ISO 200 and see what you can get done in 30 seconds I say.

Exactly what i was gonna say. Start off going to 30 seconds in M mode and stick to 200 iso. Try f8 or something around that area. If you use a high iso the dark room or wherever you are will appear lighter and grainy which looks pap. If you dont have a remote set the camera to 10 second timer then when its counting down run to position. When the shutter opens begin to write making sure you switch off between letters (quite tricky) and unless you have a crazy long name you should manage in 30 seconds. If 30 seconds is too short switch to bulb but with my nikon D5000 you have to hold the button down.... I have an ML-L3 copy which was £3 off ebay, its a wireless remote and great for light painting.
Heres a few of my light paintings...

Naranja Double by gizto29, on Flickr

Aaron by gizto29, on Flickr

Incoming!! by gizto29, on Flickr

Oh and as mentioned put the laser away!!!::nono: Get yourself down to a £1 shop and buy a few little lights/torches ;)

Hope this helps, Phil

Wow phil those are amazing, mine are NOT in a million years as good as that. The laser pointer has be dropped ( in the bin ;)) and not coming back, have found a few torches which has helped. Thanks for the help guys! I have another question, tried to do landscape long exposure but the photo came out white! Whats that about?

Wow phil those are amazing, mine are NOT in a million years as good as that. The laser pointer has be dropped ( in the bin ;)) and not coming back, have found a few torches which has helped. Thanks for the help guys! I have another question, tried to do landscape long exposure but the photo came out white! Whats that about?

Scene not dark enough - shutter open too long.

In daylight??:eek: If you drop down to f22 you may squeeze one second ish but you need ND Filters really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Phil

Back