Beginner Long Exposure NR......

Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot both jpeg and raw, Nikon D7000. If I'm out on mi own with plenty of time I usually have LENR on. Is the noise reduction only applied to the jpeg or the raw file as well?

I've had a bit of a google and got conflicting answers :confused: Yes/ no
shrug2.gif

If any one has a link to a definitive answer that would be great, cheers :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link but it seems to be all about High ISO Noise Reduction for Canon not Long Exposure Noise Reduction :)

Edit- Apologies, I've just realised I'd not put the camera make, now rectified

Last edited:
Ahh pardon me. I'm sure it should be applied the same way ...

In the first paragraph it does say that high ISO noise reduction is different to long exposure noise reduction :confused:

HINR and LENR work completely differently.

In simple terms, HINR applies algorithms to the pixel data in the image to try to detect and then rmove noise. This is performed when the RAW data is converted to JPEG. So in-camera JPEGs, or JPEGs produced by the OEM RAW conversion software (Canon DPP, Nikon Capture NX, etc) will have HINR applied, but RAW files don't. The camera just tags the RAW file with a little code which tells the RAW conversion software to apply HINR.

However, LENR works by taking a second exposure with the shutter closed (a 'dark frame') - which in theory will contain only the long exposure noise - and subtracting that from the image data. There's nowhere to store the noise data, so it has to be applied to the RAW data.

@StewartR , Thanks Stewart, so the way I read that, if taking photos at night its certainly worth having LENR on, even if I only use the raw file.

Depends. If you're taking very long exposures (minutes rather than seconds) and want a series of continuous shots (maybe for stacking star trails), the dark exposure times will mean you have gaps, possibly ruining the effect. For single shots (maybe moonlit landscapes), LENR is useful since it reduces the time spent in PP.

Depends. If you're taking very long exposures (minutes rather than seconds) and want a series of continuous shots (maybe for stacking star trails), the dark exposure times will mean you have gaps, possibly ruining the effect. For single shots (maybe moonlit landscapes), LENR is useful since it reduces the time spent in PP.

Thanks Nod, yes I do understand that, I was just a little confused as to whether LENR was applied to the raw file or just the jpeg when shooting in both :)

Back