Long exposure on film - help!

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm running my first roll of film through my new Holga WPC. I went for Velvia 100, which the wisdom of Google suggests is good for long exposures.

So how do I work out metering? My exposure meter only goes up to f32 but the WPC is f135. So there's about 4 and a bit stops difference? f32 -> f45 -> f63 -> f87 -> f122

Is that all I need to do, then? Work out the f32 value using the light meter and slow the shutter by a bit over 4 stops?

Thing is, though... I was out earlier in sunny but not really bright conditions, and the meter was reading 1/8s for f32 and ISO 100. So 4 stops slower is 2 seconds - that doesn't sound long enough. The guide on the back of the Holga says 7-9 seconds for sunny weather.

Help :shrug:

I've checked on my pinhole and 8 secs looks about right.

You could meet in the middle at 4 seconds, but it's always better to overexpose colour negative film than underexpose, and the reverse for slide film.

Pinhole Exposure Guide

The guide on the back of the 120WPC tends to overexpose by about 1.5 - 2 stops. I was out shooting last wednesday with mine, and it was around 8 elephants with Delta 100 and a red filter over the lens - so say 2.5 seconds-ish.

I think that they've made it over-expose, to try and cover the light fall-off to the outer edges of the frame, especially when shooting with the 12x6 frame in place.

Back