Beginner Long Exposure Photography Problems....Help Required

Name
Haris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All Members,

I am Haris and doing photography at beginner level as an hobby. Currently I am interested in Long Exposure photography and I did it for the first time last weekend at lake located near to my home as an experiment but the results were very horrible for me as they were very bright (full bright as white).

Now I want help regarding this matter like what settings I should use to capture the amazing long exposure photographs.

I am using Canon 700D Rebel T5i with 55-250mm lens. For long exposure I use remote to control the shutter and with ND2, ND4, ND8 with CPL Filters.

The resultant pictures are attached. Your help in this regard will highly encourage my hobby. Thanking in advance.

Obviously I can't see the pictures but if they are white then you are over exposing the photos, how were you calculating the exposures?

For images I want to share here, I first host them on Photobucket and then include a link.

Did you use manual mode?

Last edited:
Yes these are the actual photographs taken from my cam... the images are just white nothing else :(

Yes these are the actual photographs taken from my cam... the images are just white nothing else :(

Gotta ask the obvious, but are you sure you put the filters on? Did you take a meter reading first and then add filters to get the longer shutter speed?

I'd like to know the meter reading without the filters and then what filters you used.

Strange that there is nothing at all on the photographs.

Cheers and don't get too frustrated you'll get there (y)

View attachment 60541
Camera Settings for long exposure
The ISO 400 won't be helping. If this is 100 then that's two stops darker for a start and better image quality. More dark filters on the front will be required though. Something like a 10-stopper or reduce the shutter speed or try the ND8 and ND4 together?

Gotta ask the obvious, but are you sure you put the filters on? Did you take a meter reading first and then add filters to get the longer shutter speed?

I'd like to know the meter reading without the filters and then what filters you used.

Strange that there is nothing at all on the photographs.

Cheers and don't get too frustrated you'll get there (y)

I don't know about the meter reading :( What is this and how to get it?
I used ND4 then ND8 filter and ND4+ND8+CPL filters to get darker picture but nothing really worked for me :(
but in the end still getting the same results....all white :(

The ISO 400 won't be helping. If this is 100 then that's two stops darker for a start and better image quality. More dark filters on the front will be required though. Something like a 10-stopper or reduce the shutter speed or try the ND8 and ND4 together?

I tried adding the filters together and got same results :(.... but did not tried it with ISO 100
I don't have 10 stop filter right now so have to use only these gears

It shouldn't be a case of guessing or trying things though.

Just note the reading without filters then calculate the necessary exposure with the filter used.

I use a 10 stopper simply because the maths is easy, but if you know how many stops an ND8, for example is, then it's easy enough to calculate the required shutter speed.

You might need slight adjustments after that because filters can be inconsistent, but you'll be well in the ballpark.

c5955d08e42749f8a961d7d9fa1f3283.jpg
Capture.PNG
For this image I used the different settings.... I got the result but not the smoothing effect of water which I want to get from long exposure

I don't know about the meter reading :( What is this and how to get it?

You posted this as I was typing my reply.

You are best to learn some basics, I think. See if you can find the tutorials on here regarding exposure basics.

As said, good luck and stick with it.

It shouldn't be a case of guessing or trying things though.

Just note the reading without filters then calculate the necessary exposure with the filter used.

I use a 10 stopper simply because the maths is easy, but if you know how many stops an ND8, for example is, then it's easy enough to calculate the required shutter speed.

You might need slight adjustments after that because filters can be inconsistent, but you'll be well in the ballpark.

What is meant by reading and stops? Sorry am at very very very beginner level of photography

Thanks for the help :)

Yes they are totally over exposed. Ideally you want darker filters, but the first thing to do is reduce the ISO to 100.
If you put all 3 filters on, put it into aperture priority @ f22 rather than manual, then see what length of exposure the camera calculates for you.
All 3 filters will give you 6 stops, which in reasonable daylight will still only give you a few seconds, to go longer you will need a 10 stop filter, which should be doable in less than 30 seconds in bright conditions using aperture priority.
No need to even consider using manual mode, unless it is really dull or at either end of the day when light levels are low.
Ideally you want to use an aperture around f8 - f11, only go higher if you cant get a long enough exposure, as you will lose quality.

Really seems to be a great app and a great helping tool for me.... Thanks a ton :)
Hope it does help but I'm slightly puzzled too. Have you got your camera in Manual mode?

Your settings are f/22 at 1/10 sec. This looks like it's about f/8 at 1/60 sec which is exactly the same exposure as it's three stops shut down on the aperture and three stops slower on the shutter speed. This will happen with aperture priority set as if you change the aperture the shutter speed will change automatically to compensate.

It's usually best to shoot a scene like this at f/11 as this is near the sweet spot on the lens. (One stop up from f/8). So the shutter speed will be 5 stops down ... 1/2 second. Still not slow enough but with a 3 stop filter (your 0.8 is close enough) then you'll be at 2 seconds. Or the 0.8 plus 0.4 nearly four stops for 4 seconds.

I'm not 100% sure on my mathematics here but that app will help.

A pic is worth 1,000 words :)
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...d=0ahUKEwiJk86Q3ePLAhUFyRQKHUBJAyAQMwhTKBcwFw

Yes they are totally over exposed. Ideally you want darker filters, but the first thing to do is reduce the ISO to 100.
If you put all 3 filters on, put it into aperture priority @ f22 rather than manual, then see what length of exposure the camera calculates for you.
All 3 filters will give you 6 stops, which in reasonable daylight will still only give you a few seconds, to go longer you will need a 10 stop filter, which should be doable in less than 30 seconds in bright conditions using aperture priority.
No need to even consider using manual mode, unless it is really dull or at either end of the day when light levels are low.
Ideally you want to use an aperture around f8 - f11, only go higher if you cant get a long enough exposure, as you will lose quality.

So this means the camera will calculate the shutter speed by itself... and let it go with this settings?

So this means the camera will calculate the shutter speed by itself... and let it go with this settings?

Yes, that's right, with the filters you have, there will be enough light for the camera to calculate the correct exposure in all but the dullest of conditions.
On half pressing the shutter, the shutter speed will be displayed in the viewfinder or on the LCD, if the 30 (seconds) is flashing or shows red, it indicates that there is not enough light, simply open the aperture a little until it stops flashing when the shutter button is half pressed.

Hope it does help but I'm slightly puzzled too. Have you got your camera in Manual mode?

Your settings are f/22 at 1/10 sec. This looks like it's about f/8 at 1/60 sec which is exactly the same exposure as it's three stops shut down on the aperture and three stops slower on the shutter speed. This will happen with aperture priority set as if you change the aperture the shutter speed will change automatically to compensate.

It's usually best to shoot a scene like this at f/11 as this is near the sweet spot on the lens. (One stop up from f/8). So the shutter speed will be 5 stops down ... 1/2 second. Still not slow enough but with a 3 stop filter (your 0.8 is close enough) then you'll be at 2 seconds. Or the 0.8 plus 0.4 nearly four stops for 4 seconds.

I'm not 100% sure on my mathematics here but that app will help.

A pic is worth 1,000 words :)
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...d=0ahUKEwiJk86Q3ePLAhUFyRQKHUBJAyAQMwhTKBcwFw

Yes first I tried with the manual mode and it captured the picture.... but whenever I tired to got for more than 1/2 sec the image started over exposing.... so did not go beyong 1sec shutter speed

Yes, that's right, with the filters you have, there will be enough light for the camera to calculate the correct exposure in all but the dullest of conditions.
On half pressing the shutter, the shutter speed will be displayed in the viewfinder or on the LCD, if the 30 (seconds) is flashing or shows red, it indicates that there is not enough light, simply open the aperture a little until it stops flashing when the shutter button is half pressed.

Got it.... never knew the purpose of the flashing/red 30 (seconds).... but will it work for long exposure?

I know this is the beginners section and we're here to help but reading the manual is always a good thing to do, generally they are very useful.

Got it.... never knew the purpose of the flashing/red 30 (seconds).... but will it work for long exposure?

Yes anything up to 30 seconds, if there is not enough light for a correct exposure, either increase the ISO, open the aperture further, or switch to manual mode and time the manually in bulb mode. With Canon in bulb mode, a clock will be displayed on the LCD, giving a running counter of seconds elapsed, so you can time your exposure.

Just to add - I'm failing to see what you think you will see if you take a long exposure of that scene.

Photography techniques are brilliant to know, but they have a purpose, so for a long exposure that'd usually be to render moving water or clouds as a dreamy image, or creating light trails.

Rule no1 in photography is to capture whats in front of you, and that rather uninteresting landscape won't become interesting with a long exposure.

Yes anything up to 30 seconds, if there is not enough light for a correct exposure, either increase the ISO, open the aperture further, or switch to manual mode and time the manually in bulb mode. With Canon in bulb mode, a clock will be displayed on the LCD, giving a running counter of seconds elapsed, so you can time your exposure.

Yes I did the same last time... the bulb mode but I guess exposure time was too long as it gave the very bright results :(

Just to add - I'm failing to see what you think you will see if you take a long exposure of that scene.

Photography techniques are brilliant to know, but they have a purpose, so for a long exposure that'd usually be to render moving water or clouds as a dreamy image, or creating light trails.

Rule no1 in photography is to capture whats in front of you, and that rather uninteresting landscape won't become interesting with a long exposure.
I tried it first time in my life just to see what effect it gonna produce using long exposure... but I failed

This has happened to many of us when trying a new photographic technique - the first attempt usually goes wrong. Loads of tips above and if you can find yourself a waterfall that will bring some reward.

Or if you're miles away from water, try different exposures on traffic at night perhaps. Ideally something lit with street lights and exposures from say 15 seconds down to two seconds. Just to see what happens. And move the camera around or it will be a well boring set lol :)

This has happened to many of us when trying a new photographic technique - the first attempt usually goes wrong. Loads of tips above and if you can find yourself a waterfall that will bring some reward.

Or if you're miles away from water, try different exposures on traffic at night perhaps. Ideally something lit with street lights and exposures from say 15 seconds down to two seconds. Just to see what happens. And move the camera around or it will be a well boring set lol :)

Yes I should have tried it near some waterfall or at night as the water is already very smooth in this lake

Back