Long Lens

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok sure this question has been asked and answered loads of times...have nikon D40x and D80 have the 70-300VR as me longest lens but i need some more reach....so do i buy another lens that overlaps with this e.g sigma 170-400, buy a prime lens of 400/500 or despite the max aperture of the above lens add a 1.4x teleconvertor (and given the price of nikon ones use a sigma/kenko one)...want it for moon shots and wildlife pics :thinking:

suggestions on a postcard or in a thread please (y)

That seems like a lot of reach especially for the money, so if I were you and I were trying to save a few quid then yeah I'd probably lean toward the 1.4x TC because then you can at least use it for other lenses and if you decide to buy a fast 2.8 lens then I expect you'll be very happy. The alternatives seem quite expensive otherwise (to get what I'd consider an 'upgrade' anyway)

I managed to pick up a Sigma 300mm f2.8 (For the great price of £650) for my D40x off the members market here on TP. Ive now also got a 2X converter, taking me up to a 600mm f5.6 which im very happy with. Beware though if you get a Teleconverter, the Kenko ones DO NOT like HSM lenses. I found that out at the cost of a 2X and a 1.4X. :(

Back