Long term time lapse camera..?

Edit My Images
Yes
A client of mine is going to be demolishing a house and building a new one, and I like the idea of recording it for them. I do have a cheapo Go-Pro clone, but doubt this will be of much use. I am guessing that it might be mounted on a tall pole to keep it out of the way and out of reach.
I guess the project will take many months, and I won't be there regularly to replace batteries or change memory cards, so I guess some sort of mains powered (low voltage ideally) with images transmitted either with the internet or kept on a hard drive of some sort..?

How many frames an hour, and can one program a camera only to work during work hours ?

Clearly I know nothing at all about such things, so does anyone have any thoughts ?

We've been using the Brinno TLC 200pro for a few years for our garden construction projects. Great piece of kit.
Setting up can be a bit hit and miss. The wide angle lens generally captures most things but the screen is very low res so it's usually post and hope. Half the time we have it up on a pole so you can't see the screen any way.
Also get a WiFi card, otherwise you'll have to get the camera down to download pics if you want to see what's going on in between the two month battery changes!
Set the timings. if you have an interesting 24hr site great, otherwise you'll want to set the timer for working hours unless you like editing out 12 hrs of darkness each day.

In 2015/16 we had our house extended and remodelled, and I used one of those Brinno cameras - a TLC200 - to document it. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them.

However... As with any type of photography, having the right kit is one thing, but knowing how to use it properly is another - something I discovered as the job progressed!

I made 12 short videos of the project, with a total running time of about 11 minutes. They're all available on YouTube, if you're interested, here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu0uHML0pwBdJzKmTGHA9yoQftxwjMLus

(For a quick taster, the most interesting ones are probably parts 3, 5, 7 and 12.)

I am guessing that it might be mounted on a tall pole to keep it out of the way and out of reach.
That might be a good idea for the demolition phase, but probably not for the construction phase. The issue (as I found) is that the shell of the house can be built very quickly, and then all the interesting things happen inside where your camera can't see them. And even with the demolition phase, if the builders start at the end of the house furthest from the camera, you won't get much interesting footage.

I guess the project will take many months, and I won't be there regularly to replace batteries or change memory cards, so I guess some sort of mains powered (low voltage ideally) with images transmitted either with the internet or kept on a hard drive of some sort..?
It depends on what you're trying to achieve, but if you want anything more / better than just a timelapse of the house being demolished and the shell of the house being put up, then realistically you do need to be there regularly. Not so much to change batteries and cards, but to position the camera appropriately to capture the different phases of the work.

If you want to run the camera off mains electricity, you need to work out where are you going to get your supply from, and how you are going to get a cable to the camera such that it won't be disturbed during the project. This is non trivial.

With regard to getting the images off the camera, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Brinno cameras all use SD cards rather than some form of wired or wireless means. One consideration is that file sizes are very large, and transmitting individual frames can be prohibitive. What the Brinno cameras do is process each frame automatically into a video, and then save it to the card as an AVI. I think that makes a lot of sense.

How many frames an hour, and can one program a camera only to work during work hours?
Brinno cameras can be configured to switch on and off automatically at the same time each day. For example, for my project I recorded from 08:00 to 18:00 each day. The camera then packaged up each day's activity into a separate AVI file.

How many frames per hour? It depends totally on the rate of progress on the job, how you want it to look when it's finished, and what you want the run time to be.

There are useful calculators on the Brinno website to calculate file sizes at different frame rates, and there is also very good data about battery life in various circumstances.

I found that my final timelapse speed (in the finished videos) typically runs at between 15 minutes and 1 hour of actual time for every second of video. That's one frame of video for every 30 seconds to 2 minutes of real time, approximately. However I captured the data at a higher frame rate - typically 1 frame per 10 seconds, I think - to give me scope to tinker with it at the editing stage. Remember, if you have more frames than you need, then you can always throw some away, but if you don't have enough, you're stuffed.

Hope this has given you food for thought. Very happy to discuss.

Last edited:
In 2015/16 we had our house extended and remodelled, and I used one of those Brinno cameras - a TLC200 - to document it. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them.

However... As with any type of photography, having the right kit is one thing, but knowing how to use it properly is another - something I discovered as the job progressed!

I made 12 short videos of the project, with a total running time of about 11 minutes. They're all available on YouTube, if you're interested, here:

(For a quick taster, the most interesting ones are probably parts 3, 5, 7 and 12.)

That might be a good idea for the demolition phase, but probably not for the construction phase. The issue (as I found) is that the shell of the house can be built very quickly, and then all the interesting things happen inside where your camera can't see them. And even with the demolition phase, if the builders start at the end of the house furthest from the camera, you won't get much interesting footage.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve, but if you want anything more / better than just a timelapse of the house being demolished and the shell of the house being put up, then realistically you do need to be there regularly. Not so much to change batteries and cards, but to position the camera appropriately to capture the different phases of the work.

If you want to run the camera off mains electricity, you need to work out where are you going to get your supply from, and how you are going to get a cable to the camera such that it won't be disturbed during the project. This is non trivial.

With regard to getting the images off the camera, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Brinno cameras all use SD cards rather than some form of wired or wireless means. One consideration is that file sizes are very large, and transmitting individual frames can be prohibitive. What the Brinno cameras do is process each frame automatically into a video, and then save it to the card as an AVI. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Brinno cameras can be configured to switch on and off automatically at the same time each day. For example, for my project I recorded from 08:00 to 18:00 each day. The camera then packaged up each day's activity into a separate AVI file.

How many frames per hour? It depends totally on the rate of progress on the job, how you want it to look when it's finished, and what you want the run time to be.

There are useful calculators on the Brinno website to calculate file sizes at different frame rates, and there is also very good data about battery life in various circumstances.

I found that my final timelapse speed (in the finished videos) typically runs at between 15 minutes and 1 hour of actual time for every second of video. That's one frame of video for every 30 seconds to 2 minutes of real time, approximately. However I captured the data at a higher frame rate - typically 1 frame per 10 seconds, I think - to give me scope to tinker with it at the editing stage. Remember, if you have more frames than you need, then you can always throw some away, but if you don't have enough, you're stuffed.

Lots of food for thought - I'm dashing out right now but will have a proper read and watch a few of your videos later, and may well ask more questions - thanks Stewart !

It also depends a fair bit on which stage the job's at. Demolition CAN be (isn't always but CAN be) pretty quick (as far as the shell coming down goes - site clearance will probably take longer!) but the rebuilding is likely to be rather slower (unless it's a Huf haus or similar) so frame rate will probably need to be variable.

(Bear in mind that my knowledge of time lapse is limited to a few sunsets over 3 hours taken at 2 fps, using a GoPro clone [that was dead simple to set up for MY needs, probably not for yours...])

..... will have a proper read and watch a few of your videos later, and may well ask more questions.....
You'd be very welcome. It was an interesting and fun project and I would be happy to help other people do similar things.

You'd be very welcome. It was an interesting and fun project and I would be happy to help other people do similar things.
Thank you! I'm away from home and preoccupied with work at present so will wait till I'm at home on my pc and can focus more....

I've still got a huge amount to think through and learn, but your clips are just the sort of thing I want to get.
I think I need to get a Brinno soon so that I can try to figure out how to use it way in advance of the project - I expect I'll be asking you more questions once I have got some sort of plan in mind.
I'm going to start by putting up a thread in the classifieds should you no longer have a use for yours...!

Back