Long tripod spikes

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Long (10cm-ish) spikes on a tripod seems like the best way to get a steady tripod on soft ground. You can buy these for the extortionate price of £90 from gitzo but I wondered whether anyone had tried getting some threaded bar and sawing it down to size and screwing them on??

Long (10cm-ish) spikes on a tripod seems like the best way to get a steady tripod on soft ground. You can buy these for the extortionate price of £90 from gitzo but I wondered whether anyone had tried getting some threaded bar and sawing it down to size and screwing them on??

Just buy some 'copy' ones on ebay or Amazon. Easier and much neater.

Some screw directly into the bottom of the legs, so would be easy to make out of stainless bolts of the right thread.
You would only need to locktite, solder or otherwise fix a nut to the bottom of the threaded part. then cut off the head and shape the straight part of the bolt.

Others like those for manfrotto clamp around the outside of the leg tube, and are not really practical to make yourself, that way.
However it would be possible to turn a suitable internally threaded metal plugs, to take the stainless bolt method.
I need some for my Manfrotto 190 L which has 16 mm dia legs, but I am not prepared to pay the high price needed.
but I might make some using the method I have suggested, as I have a lathe and the necessary tools.
I just need to get motivated.
I have the manfrotto ones, for my O55 Pro B and have them fitted permanently.

Last edited:
Some screw directly into the bottom of the legs, so would be easy to make out of stainless bolts of the right thread.
You would only need to locktite, solder or otherwise fix a nut to the bottom of the threaded part. then cut off the head and shape the straight part of the bolt.

Others like those for manfrotto clamp around the outside of the leg tube, and are not really practical to make yourself, that way.
However it would be possible to turn a suitable internally threaded metal plugs, to take the stainless bolt method.
I need some for my Manfrotto 190 L which has 16 mm dia legs, but I am not prepared to pay the high price needed.
but I might make some using the method I have suggested, as I have a lathe and the necessary tools.
I just need to get motivated.
I have the manfrotto ones, for my O55 Pro B and have them fitted permanently.

49803912663_05f2e7e892_o.jpg

This seems to have worked a treat. M8 threaded bar cut into sections and held in place with a couple of bolts. I might cut myself some smaller ones for shallower/harder soil too. You could always take the thread off the bottom section with angle grinder or something. Not bad for £2. I’ll see how this goes in the field...

49803912663_05f2e7e892_o.jpg

Only goes in an inch or so in the soil in my garden but the tripod’s solid as a rock. Give me a bit of extra height too...

View attachment 279635

This seems to have worked a treat. M8 threaded bar cut into sections and held in place with a couple of bolts. I might cut myself some smaller ones for shallower/harder soil too. You could always take the thread off the bottom section with angle grinder or something. Not bad for £2. I’ll see how this goes in the field...

I didn't think tripod threads were metric...? But if it works I guess.....

View attachment 279637

Only goes in an inch or so in the soil in my garden but the tripod’s solid as a rock. Give me a bit of extra height too...

I would be inclined to use some plain stainless or brass bar bar and cut my own threads with a tap. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSS-CIRCULAR-DIE-ALL-SIZES-LISTED-TOP-QUALITY-M3-M24/350899233964?h easier and neater than grinding away the thread.

also need one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMTECH-D...312891?hash=item3da19b463b:g:coYAAOSwDVVem3RN if you do not have one.

Last edited:
I didn't think tripod threads were metric...? But if it works I guess.....

The ones atop tripods are (usually...) 3/8 or 1/4 inch UNC (Whitworth is close enough for this relatively low load application but the correct thread is better) but elsewhere, they can be a real hodge-podge!

Back