Look what my storm has done!

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a day in the Lake District on Saturday. Thought I'd have a look at what damage my storm caused. I'd heard that the Keswick-Threlkeld path was closed. This is built on the old Penrith to Keswick railway trackbed, so is pretty substantial. After negotiating lots of "Do not cross" tape I finished up stood on a bridge parapet. The track was directly behind me. When in operation it had two way working so is reasonably wide. The track carried on the other side of the river directly in front of me, just to the right of the tree slightly left of centre. The river is approx 50 yards wide here. Only trouble is the bridge ain't there anymore. That is it on the bottom left of the shot. All 100 tons of it was moved by the river to where it is now. That's some force of water. Two rivers join up just where the bridge stood The River Greta and Glenderaterra Beck so I suppose the poor old bridge never stood a chance.

FXT18421
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Oops! Do you have the 'before' shot? Then all you need is the shot of whatever replaces it, if it's replaced, and you've got an interesting historical record. And something to remind us that you can't tame nature.

There are several bridges of a similar construction on the track. I understand that more than one were washed away.
Comparisons with the new bridge (s) won't be hard to make.

Interestingly there is a big campaign to get the railway line relaid and reopened.

I may be wrong but it is possible that Network Rail may still be responsible. They'll like that!

Back