Looking after CF cards.

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Reading the 32 gb CF card thread made me think. Am I looking after my CF card enough so it wont fail me. It is a Sandisk one. I always copy the files onto the computer using Canon software then I format the card in my camera. Is this the correct was of maintaing the card?
Thanks
Matt

as long as yo are formatting in the camera you are fine.
not formatting at all will only reduce speed and IMO not much at that anyway!

Probably yeah!

I'm lazy and just cut n paste and dont bother with reformat! Never had a problem though.

i copy and paste and then format each card in camera before re using it

as long as yo are formatting in the camera you are fine.
not formatting at all will only reduce speed and IMO not much at that anyway!

I only format mine about once a month or so.

Thanks everyone. Glad that I am looking after it properly.

I use a card reader, and after I've downloaded the pics, I format the card on the computer. File sytem is the same FAT32, and I've never had a problem. It's much easier to delete and re-name folders on the card using the computer as well.

I use a card reader, and after I've downloaded the pics, I format the card on the computer. File sytem is the same FAT32, and I've never had a problem. It's much easier to delete and re-name folders on the card using the computer as well.

Fiary nuff, I find it easier to format on the camera.

I use a card reader to copy the files to the HDD of my mac. After that the data stays on the memory card until I use it again, at which time I format the card in the camera. That way, I keep a backup of the last shot photos on that card as long as possible.

I always copy to my computer via a card reader, back that up and then when the cards full, format in the camera.
I have known people to have problems in the past who've formatted out of the camera and then struggled to use it again, but saying that it was quite a few years ago when technology wasn't that forgiving - probably because the designers didn't give it to users to trash (sorry use in their own way)

Mine (8 GB in the 5D, 4GB in the 20D) generally stay in the cameras, after a near-20D-CF-slot-death experience with a card reader, during which one of the pins bent over :eek:. I reformat them each time they get emptied :)

I copy pictures to me computer using the software that came with my camera. Once I am sure I have all the pictures, and I have made backup copies of all my pictures, I put the card back in camera a format it. Then I always know whether I have transfered pictures to the computer or not as a only blank cards are safe for me to use again!

TBH the Sandisk cards are pretty bullet proof Matt. I've had one go through the washing machine in my jeans pocket and dropped another one in the mud and had to run it under the tap to clean it off :bonk: I let both dry off fully on a radiator and both cards still work fine to this day :D

As for copying images etc, I pull the images off using a card reader and format the card before each use in camera. Works for me ;)

I transfer the pics to a computer with a card reader. Then format in the camera before next use.I have never had a problem with any cards. From cheap jessops own brand to sandisk ones.

I transfer using a reader too. Then I format in camera.

TBH the Sandisk cards are pretty bullet proof Matt. I've had one go through the washing machine in my jeans pocket and dropped another one in the mud and had to run it under the tap to clean it off :bonk: I let both dry off fully on a radiator and both cards still work fine to this day :D

As for copying images etc, I pull the images off using a card reader and format the card before each use in camera. Works for me ;)

Oh good, I am glad I got a good 'un :D

Thanks for all the comments :)

its good to hear all these positive things about the sandisk cards, there next on my hit list with a second body

Formatting a CF card in a computer will do it absolutely no harm. If you are upgrading firmware both Canon and Nikon first ask you to format the card in PC before uploading firmware update.

Sandisk are excellent. I always go for the Ultra II 4GB's - bargain. Got some Extreme III's but can't notice any performance difference between them. Might do if I shot at 8fps in RAW+JPG however :)

On topic, card stays in the camera, and gets formatted via the camera also.

For years, I downloaded my Sandisks using a card reader, deleted the folder and reused the card in the camera without any formatting.

Never had any trouble or slow speeds.

However, I read on another forum of a card that went awry. The techs. recovering the data blamed not formatting it in the camera.

Since then, I format in camera after downloading.

its one of those things that it happens rarely but it will be the time you have a prized picture on it!

I use a reader to grab my photos off the card and then just wipe it via the computer... but now after reading that you all format via the camera... I guess that's what I'll do from now on!

However, I read on another forum of a card that went awry. The techs. recovering the data blamed not formatting it in the camera.

Since then, I format in camera after downloading.

May as well...it takes a matter of seconds and a couple of button pushes, and gives that extra peace of mind :)

Back