13" laptop + charger
Nintendo Switch in case
Anker battery
5DIV
35L mkii
85L mkii
camera accessories - battery, USB lead, memory cards
Sony MDR-1000X headphones.

Basically all my electronics for a holiday trip.

So far I have found:

Think Tank Signature 13 £265.00

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/signature-13

Crumpler - The Base Park Backpack - £199.90

http://www.crumpler.eu/camera-bags/the-base-park-backpack-4

Obviously the Crumpler is designed more geared specifically to what i am using it for, which is for the travel part, as opposed to a daily shooting bag which the Think Thank is way too big for 1 body and 2 lenses. I am currently liking the Crumpler more but are there other brands that i am missing and should check out?

When you say travel, what do you mean? Trekking? Package beech holiday? City break?

Personally, for city breaks I would probably take sling bag - with the camera out of it it won’t weigh very much and would be more convenient if you’re swapping primes.

In fact, for travelling I would probably not even take a proper camera bag, I’d get a decent man bag and an insert, this way you also have just a bag should you need. I say this having been through a large number of bags and all sorts of travel with all sorts of kit.

Personally, for city breaks I would probably take sling bag - with the camera out of it it won’t weigh very much and would be more convenient if you’re swapping primes.

In fact, for travelling I would probably not even take a proper camera bag, I’d get a decent man bag and an insert, this way you also have just a bag should you need. I say this having been through a large number of bags and all sorts of travel with all sorts of kit.

Hence I said I don't need a bag for a day out and this bag is purely, solely, specifically and ONLY for using in transit.

Hence I said I don't need a bag for a day out and this bag is purely, solely, specifically and ONLY for using in transit.
For that I would look for a smallish ordinary hiking rucksack with a padded insert to stop the camera gear rattling around.

Either that, or how about a briefcase with foam cut-outs.

Well, given the minimal level of kit I would just wrap it up and put it in my hand luggage.

A massive backpack for city breaks seems overkill to me, if I really really wanted one I'd just look in the classifieds for whatever was close enough.

Not much help I'm afraid but there you go :)

For that I would look for a smallish ordinary hiking rucksack with a padded insert to stop the camera gear rattling around.

Either that, or how about a briefcase with foam cut-outs.

Most of the time I don't even bother wrapping my gear up, no bag, i hold it in my hand…at most .i just put it in but make sure it does't move around.

(ignore the pelican case in this instance but the bag and the DSLR is how I normally roll)

n1D067M.jpg

Well, given the minimal level of kit I would just wrap it up and put it in my hand luggage.

A massive backpack for city breaks seems overkill to me, if I really really wanted one I'd just look in the classifieds for whatever was close enough.

Not much help I'm afraid but there you go :)

I am going to Japan for 2 weeks so clothing will be in my checked luggage and i always carry my electronics as carry on. Normally I would just use my small 4 wheel case but I am going to 7 cities in 7 days in Japan with lots of train journeys so pushing 2 x 4 wheels suit cases is going to be a pain in the butt, hence a backpack. The bag is purely to carry stuff in airports to hotels and hotels to 7 hotels and back to airport. Day to day the bag stays in the hotel. So the logic really is finding a bag that holds my electronic for the travel part of travelling. Literally the actual airport/trains part.

8KN0fLc.jpg

Last edited:
They certainly are nice, I have the 13 slim, but that would be too small for the OP's requirements

You are right, normally the 13 would be fine but i need (or want) to fit the Switch and headphones in the bag as well meaning I will need the 15". Thanks for the suggestions, it makes a nice alternative to the Think Tank but at the moment I am leaning towards the Crumpler for the backpack aspect for better weight transfer over both shoulders.

My Domke has also become my 'man bag' - discreet and within even ryan air limits

You are right, normally the 13 would be fine but i need (or want) to fit the Switch and headphones in the bag as well meaning I will need the 15". Thanks for the suggestions, it makes a nice alternative to the Think Tank but at the moment I am leaning towards the Crumpler for the backpack aspect for better weight transfer over both shoulders.
have a look at vanguards range. they make some great products. their up-rise range expands so you have two bags sizes in one

I was out the other day with my 6D, 17-40, 50 & 70-200 and a couple of accessories in a shoulder bag. It was much heavier than I thought it would be and my neck was aching the next day.

I'd opt for a backpack, even though you won't be carrying it around the city with you, it will still get heavy in transit.

Visit a shop with all your kit. See which bag(s) hold the kit. Choose which one you like. Hand over card/cash and take bag.

Back