Looking for a camera rucksack to fit a monster lens

Name
Rhys
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello guys! First time poster here.

I'll jump straight to the question; I'm looking for a camera rucksack which is relatively cheap (around £150, but ideally below) and is able to fit quite a few lenses, including my absolutely monstrous 400mm telephoto which is around 40 centimetres (15 inches) in length and around 8 centimetres (3 inches) in diameter.
For a reference, here is an old picture of the beast in question:
P1100994Large.jpg

I work solely using film cameras (Olympus OM brand). These lenses can be pretty heavy in comparison to modern lenses, but are very solidly built. I'm looking for a bag which would somehow be able to fit this lens, as well as a couple of others (prime, ultra-wide, telephoto, zoom, etcetera), and a body or two.

But I'd also like the bag to not look like a traditional camera bag. For instance, I absolutely hate the look and feel of the Lowpro rucksacks.

For an idea of what I'm really aiming for, I'm currently looking seriously at the National Geographic Earth Explorer Rucksack Medium.
ng-5162close500x500.jpg

It looks like a normal rucksack, and indeed has a compartment above to store normal hiking things like food or maps. Love the colour too.

So here comes the second point of the thread; does anyone have any experience with the above bag?

I know for a fact it wont fit my monster lens, so I was thinking of hanging it on the side, either in the pocket for a water bottle, or strapped to where a tripod goes. But, I'm going to need some sort of protection for the lens if it is going to be exposed on the outside of the bag like this. So, now for the third question; what should I do to protect it? I can't seem to find any lens pouch or case which is big enough and cheap enough to fit this lens. Any advice?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
how long in mm is the lens. it may be possible to carry your camera in a bag around your neck with a general purpose lens attach and keep you lenes in a back pack . for eample a lopro or similar . ithe kata hb-205 ro hb-207 might fit the bill

alternatively you could put tteh camera bag inside a propper rucksack

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Hey,
the lens is 400 mm long.

Not too sure on the idea of the camera around my neck. I want to go hiking with my gear; something around my neck would be very uncomfortable and would definitely get in the way. That's the idea of having a rucksack in the first place.
As I said, I really hate Lowpro, and the two others you suggested definately do seem big enough to fit the 400mm telephoto, but I doubt much else, and they don't look exactly that comfortable to wear; too much like a camera rucksack.

have you thought of a sling bag . i use a kata sling bag, i walk quite a lot on my hols, does the bag yo have seen fit your big lens without your camera

why not try a local camera shop and feel how they feel on your back, London camera exhange seem to have quite a range
Cheers Steve

Last edited:
i use a mini tripod bag for my lens like yours and the use attach it to my bag either via tripod holder or pocket

Steve: A sling bag wouldn't be much good on hikes unfortunately. I carry a hiking stick and would need full use of my arms to be able to swing around in a full circular plane. A sling bag would definitely impede my ability to walk effectively.

The National Geographic bag I mentioned is way too small to fit my big lens in any of its compartments. It's only 42 cm in height (my lens is 40 cm long, but this doesn't take into account the padding of the bag, the compartments, etc), and 30cm in length, way too small.
That is why I thought it'd be an idea to affix the lens to the outside of the rucksack. Again though, I need to somehow protect it.

Chris: Hadn't thought of using a mini tripod bag! Great idea, that would actually be about the same size as the lens. But would any be padded enough to withstand normal bumps that you'd get on a normal hike? All of my tripod bags have been flimsy bits of fabric.

Last edited:
Anyone able to answer my other questions?
Has anyone had experience with the National Geographic rucksack, and is there a good strong padded mini-tripod bag available? Do such things exist?

Manfrotto & Gitzo both do padded tripod carry bags. I think I have also seen other makes advertised.

I have the medium National Geographic bag and I have to say I am fairly disappointed with it. The quality of the bag itself is first class and I love the metal clips and all the extra pockets. The complete downside for the bag which spoils it totally for me is that the internal velcroed dividers are far too short. That may sound stupid but as soon as you put a camera body into the camera compartment the internal dividers no longer velcro top and bottom because their shape is distorted. This means there is little protection for your equipment. It sounds a small point but it completely negates the point of the bag. I would recommend you avoid it unless you can source your own dividers.

Darn, that's a shame. I do have a lot of Velcro dividers from the numerous other carry bags which I have, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Is it more the case of the actual dividers being short or the Velcro tabs along the interior of the bag being too short?

I've found a place where I can try it out in person; the Warehouse Express showroom in Norwich. Since I'm going to Great Yarmouth next week, it'll be great timing. I'll post a first impressions/review (if I buy it) if anyone wants.

Today I actually went into Jessops and bought a £10 mini tripod bag on a whim. It isn't that padded, but it should give some protection. And it should fit. I don't have my lens available to test until Monday, so I can't know for sure, but I am hopeful.

Going back to the dividers in this bag there are velcro strips which run the width of the bag top and bottom of the camera compartment. The problem is that the dividers attach to these strips no problem when there is nothing in there but as soon as a body goes in, the dividers are no longer straight and therefore no longer attach properly. I have tried putting in other dividers I have but none are the right length. This is a real pity because otherwise I love the build quality and look of the bag.

Lovely, the mini tripod case I got fits the lens absolutely perfectly. It's a little too loose in there however; is there anything I can use as extra padding?

Ian: Lovely, but I'd like to fit other things in it too!
coldpenguin: Does look like a nice bag, actually. I'll go look into it a bit.
duggie: Ahh, thank you for that. Guess I'll see properly when I go try it on next week.

it may not be egigant but im sure you could use it as a basis for something better.

maybe you could line the bag somehow with the bubble wrap. and a bonus if you get stress out you could pop 1 or 2

Cheers Steve

You can't go wrong with a Lowepro. I have the Photo Trekker AWII and its great, very comfortable, walked around all day at motor circuits with it on, or in the Hill of Wales and the Lakes doing lowfly photography, easily fits 2 bodies, canon 300mm f2.8, 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4, 1.4x and 2x TC plus space for batteries etc, they also do larger bags and special trekking bags with hydro pack

Well...I did it. Headed out to the Warehouse Express Showroom in Norwich on Monday, they had the bag on display. I tried it out. Brought some lenses. Fell in love with it!

Here is my very quick review of the bag, with some very cruddy photos (since the bag is being carted back to my house without me tomorrow for a few weeks, so I didn't have time to take fantastic ones).

First of all, the size of the thing. I was actually surprised at how compact the bag actually is. The compartment for lenses is smaller than I expected; but then again I have a lot of bulky lenses. You can combine both the top compartment and the photography compartment into one large one, by removing the fabric barrier using the zip.

I found there was a lack of velcro strips on the inside of this compartment, so the number of combinations you can arrange the removable fabric bits in is limited, which might be a problem if you have quite a few small lenses like I do.
p1140383large.jpg

The top compartment is a good size, and should easily fit a lunchbox, or a few extra lenses, or even a pair of hiking boots if need be.
p1140391large.jpg

Now, although the thing is smaller than I expected, I did take a look at the Large version of the rucksack. The Large version is huge. Easily twice the size of the Medium version, and heavier to boot, with lots more straps and pockets. Frankly, you'd only ever want the Large version if you were going on a proper hiking trip for a number of days.

There are quite a few reasonable sized pockets on the front of the backpack, which could store batteries or phones or pretty much anything else you can think of.
p1140398large.jpg

You also have the laptop slot which sits very nicely at the back of the backpack, and is protected by a zip. However, it isn't really all that wide, and I wouldn't think a laptop bigger than 16" could fit into it. However, it is a perfect size for OS Map booklets.
p1140404large.jpg

Build quality is great, it really seems like it could last a while. The hemp fabric is touch and thick; and the bag came with it's own waterproof cover for added protection if it ever rains (this is the UK, of course it will!).

All the zips are nicely hidden away by fabric overhangs, so there isn't any chance you'll accidentally open something. Velcro is used quite a bit (such as on the fabric overhangs), which threw me at first, but it seems to be pretty strong.

One thing I am not too fond of is the metal buttons clips which are used to secure the cover that covers top compartment. They are quite fiddly to clip on, taking several seconds and a little bit of effort, but once they are on they are firm and fastened well.
p1140381large.jpg

Comfort is fantastic. The shoulder straps are padded and once on your back the weight is very evenly distributed. It's probably the most comfortable backpack I have ever worn. It's disappointing that there is no waist strap for that little added bit of comfort and support. That would have been very useful . The Large version does have this.
p1140402large.jpg

On both sides are fabric water bottle holders, which can be tucked away into the bag when not in use. These can also be used to support tripods, as they are in line with the tripod support bracket..things. The bottom of the bag also has straps which, as you can see on the above photo, I have used to holster my massive lens into. They could also be used to strap on a tripod or even a small sleepingbag.

All in all, a very very good bag.

The RedSnapper tripod bag is probably padded enough for your larger lens :). The bag you bought looks good, I quite like the light bags, not sure if I'd use one myself, though.

Back