Looking for a new lens - need some advice

Edit My Images
No
Hi all. I currently have a Canon 40D and am looking to buy a new lens for it.
Currently I only have the 18-55mm kit lens and the Canon 70-300 F/4 USM lens.

I am looking for a lens that will fit the following:
A) A suitable upgrade to the kit lens mainly used for studio portrait/glamour shots
B) Be able to give a wider angle for landscape
C) Possibly offer some type of zoom upto around anything between 70-100mm (ish)

Is there anything that fits that criteria? 'A' & 'B' are probably the most important, 'C' I am not not fussed about.

I'm not too wories on lens manufacturer and price range is somewhere around the £400 ish mark.

I tried the 10-20mm Sigma wide angle and was very pleased with the wide angle results, but felt it would be too difficult for using in the studio as I would need to get too close to the model. If this lens could go upto around 50mm I would have gone for that.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Hi & Welcome :wave:

As you know, you've lots of different options available to you...

A few options to consider or rule out...

The Canon 28-135IS is a great lens and can be had brand new under your budget, will cross your 2 current lenses nicely.

The Canon 24-105IS L lens - very nice lens, L build quality - you might be able to pick a 2nd hand one up slightly above your budget.

The Canon 17-85IS was the kit lens with the 40D and is worth a look at - is an improvement on the 18-55 lens and also gives you a longer reach. The new version is the Canon 15-85IS, which gets very good reviews and you should be able to pick up one in budget 2nd hand.

Then you've got Sigma, Tamron, Tokina options as well...

How much wider than your 18-55 do you want to go for landscapes ? I think you might struggle to get a lens that covers this and is good for studio and gives you the results your after...

Hi there.

Thanks for the response - the kit lens I currently have is from my Canon D400.

I have tried the 24-105IS L which is very nice but a bit out of my price range. I like the way it can be used as an 'all round' lens and it performs very well in the studio, as well as giving me a bit more length when walking around London ect, however, it lacks the wider angle which I would like.

To be honest, I dont need it *that* much wider than the 18-55 I currently have, but when taking some photos I find that I need slightly wider lens - maybe around 10-15mm.
The 15-85IS you mentioned soudns about right for me so I'll have a look at some reviews on that and check out the prices.

Possibly the biggest factor I am after, is something which will give much sharper images than the 18-55.
I have tried using the 70-300mm in the studio (very difficult to do but can just about manage a full headshot when in the larger studio) and it gives a sharper image at times but isnt very practical.

I think you need to decide what is more important, you just can't have a really sharp lens that has a focal range from 10mm to 200mm+. For wider than 15mm, if you decide that isn't enough, you already know of the 10-20, there is also a Sigma 12-24, Tokina 11-16, etc.

If the 15-85mm doesn't do it for you, the Canon 17-55 f2.8 is a beautiful lens, but it isn't cheap and the focal range is a compromise for you. I think you're going to be better off having a lens like that, and add a 70-200 2.8 at a later date.

Hi
Have you considered the canon 50mm 1.8? Dont let the cheap price fool you its a sharp little lens. Nice length for portraits.
Only costs £60-80.
Would leave you enough change to get the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non vc. A fantastic upgrade to the kit lens. Really nice lens.
Will give you slightly wider for scapes, but a great, reasonably fast all rounder. Cost around £280 ish
The sigma 10-20 is def the way to go for the wider landscapes.
I use all these and get great results.
Just my two penneth :)

Back