Looking for an addition...

Name
Tyrone
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am currently looking for a fairly inexpensive addition to my two light set up (Pixapro storm 400 & 600 watt)
I want something that will allow me to add more creativity through different light placement and also something that will free up a light to light a background.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Whether that be to buy something very cheap to fill a gap. Or a replacement for one of the lights. To make one of them as the addition.

Simple manual speedlight? Yongnuo etc are pretty economical. Put them in slave mode and they will fit the need you describe.

Pixapro Storm heads are IGBT-regulated, capable of very fast flash durations. Presumably that's why you bought them as there's no other reason to pay the extra, but in which case if you added a cheap voltage-regulated head and wanted fast flash durations you could have some issues using all three together.

In any case if it was me, I would definitely prefer to keep all three the same, just for ease of working if nothing else, better colour match etc. Three heads is nice to have of course, but it's light modifiers that really allow you to stretch your creative legs. Or get some battery powered heads and go al fresco ;)

Last edited:
I think.. I need to (a) see some of your work and (b) see the sort of thing which inspires you before we can make sensible suggestions.
One of the most creative photographers I know does amazing work with very cheap kit, some gels and some flags, cookies and so on bodged out of cardboard.

Those are badged Godox QT's right? Where are your power settings usually?

Hi, yes they are rebranded godox lights. The power adjustment dial is on the back, right hand side.,

Pixapro Storm heads are IGBT-regulated, capable of very fast flash durations. Presumably that's why you bought them as there's no other reason to pay the extra, but in which case if you added a cheap voltage-regulated head and wanted fast flash durations you could have some issues using all three together.

In any case if it was me, I would definitely prefer to keep all three the same, just for ease of working if nothing else, better colour match etc. Three heads is nice to have of course, but it's light modifiers that really allow you to stretch your creative legs. Or get some battery powered heads and go al fresco ;)

Yes, I researched what I wanted to get out of my first set of lights. The capability of being able to freezing motion was a high priority.

I completely see your point about keeping it simple. And getting another. Then I won't have any issues with a slower duration flash. Potentially blurring an image.... hmmmmm....

I was hoping to be able get something even cheaper though. (Cheeky I know, considering the price of these, Pixapro or godox).

Currently I have a very large folding beauty dish.... with softbox defuser. A fairly large strip box. And a couple of umbrellas.
I kinda want a smaller beauty dish, with grid. Or another strip box.

With the huge beauty dish. I can fill a scene pretty easily. But more concentrated, direct light is something I have found myself wanting on a previous shoot.

Yes, I researched what I wanted to get out of my first set of lights. The capability of being able to freezing motion was a high priority.

I completely see your point about keeping it simple. And getting another. Then I won't have any issues with a slower duration flash. Potentially blurring an image.... hmmmmm....

I was hoping to be able get something even cheaper though. (Cheeky I know, considering the price of these, Pixapro or godox).

Currently I have a very large folding beauty dish.... with softbox defuser. A fairly large strip box. And a couple of umbrellas.

With the huge beauty dish. I can fill a scene pretty easily. But more concentrated, direct light is something I have found myself wanting on a previous shoot.

Okay then, you won't go far wrong with Pixapro Lumi II 200. It's a fantastic head for the money. Or the Godox/Lencarta branded equivalent :)

If you want a hard, concentrated light, then consider getting some honeycomb grids. This one is the most extreme, 10 degrees https://www.lencarta.com/standard-reflector-10-degree-universal-honeycomb-grid and they are also available in 20, 30 and 40 degree variants, although personally I hardly ever use the 30 or 40 degree ones.
I don't know whether the standard reflectors sold by Pixapro will fit, i.e. they may or may not be the standard 7" opening, and even if they are you won't be able to use them with the modelling lamp, so you may also need to get a dedicated honeycomb reflector https://www.lencarta.com/smartflash-honeycomb-grid-reflector

Adding one or more honeycombs will allow you to create flare-free backlighting as well as a hard light source

:LOL:
What I meant was "what are your power settings," i.e. are the heads usually up near full power, or closer to minimum power? If you are usually pushing both of them hard, then I don't think I'd get a 200ws to mix in.

Ah!!! I thought it was a random question.

Tbh I'm not really pushing the lights to the near the maximum of their power output.
And in a couple of situations I have wanted a dimmer light. So I won't rule out a 200w.

Although I haven't used the lights outside of various studio type situations. I will be tqing then on location and more power might be useful then.

Okay then, you won't go far wrong with Pixapro Lumi II 200. It's a fantastic head for the money. Or the Godox/Lencarta branded equivalent :)

These definitely look interesting. How does the flash duration compare?

These definitely look interesting. How does the flash duration compare?

Actually a bit faster at full power, but after that they get gradually longer as power is reduced, while the Storms get much faster.

Actually a bit faster at full power, but after that they get gradually longer as power is reduced, while the Storms get much faster.

So in terms of freezing movement.... running, spinning, for instance.

I called in at lencarta yesterday, and saw quite a few ex demo and reburbished SuperFast flash heads there - no idea about the cost, but if you're thinking about increasing your action stopping potential it would make sense to give them a ring - they will be very good value.

I called in at lencarta yesterday, and saw quite a few ex demo and reburbished SuperFast flash heads there - no idea about the cost, but if you're thinking about increasing your action stopping potential it would make sense to give them a ring - they will be very good value.

(y)

Thank so for that.. I might have to give them a call beginning of next week!

Back