Beginner looking for beginner macro len's

Edit My Images
No
i'm a new user here so i'l get the hey guy's!!/gals done n out the way lol.

I'm looking for some advice i brought my first dsrl last year a nikon d3100,and i'm looking for a macro len's that'll fit it and not cost a great deal.Any idea's where to look i'v seen a few but they disable then auto-focus when in use thats no biggie really i'd prefer it if they didn't but were also abit dear. any idea's?

What's your idea of dear? You can pick up a decent macro for around £3-400, but if you think that's too much then your options are a bit more limited.

Hi Sam, you cant go far wrong starting out with the raynox add on lenses, that's is a link to the 250dcr they also do a 150dcr which has less magnification but is much easier to use than the 250 that has a very narrow depth of frame, these will clip onto the front of your kit lens and work great, i especially liked the 250 with the 55-200mm.

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro....mpb has a second hand one for £199 !

We've a Sigma 50mm Macro lens which is great and works out well for us - we don't shoot bugs / insects. If you are going to shoot bugs / insects, then I would suggest you need to look at, at least 100mm lens...

I have just got a raynox 250 and it's a little tricky and a steady hand is helpful but get it right and it's great. Do a search for macro and I think you should be able to see what I mean. £45-55 I think and a great bit of kit.

If you are new to macro photography in general, my advice is not to worry about a dedicated macro lens. You can get to grips with macro photography by using a reversing ring or set of extension tubes. You can pick either of these up for less than a tenner. You can then decide if you enjoy macro enough to invest in a lens and have a better idea of the type of things you'd like to shoot.

I've no personal experience of the raynox achromats mentioned above, but I have heard (and seen) good things about them from other users here.

I'm hoping my reversing ring arrives tomorrow and that cost £5 including postage, it's a start without forking out the money straight off.

I would say go with the second hand Sigma 105 from MPB (Mentioned above).
You would then have a 1:1 macro lens that will double as a really sharp medium telephoto/portrait lens (152mm on your 1.5 crop camera).
Plus the Sigma 105mm lens is a cracking piece of glass :)

I have the Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro
Sharp. sharp, paid £140 mint condition off fleabay

I only got it over the Tamron as it came up at the right price.
By all accounts they appear to be as sharp as each other, but the Sigma is slightly lighter.

I've had a look at loads of macro lenses over the last week or so as it's something I also want to start. I ended up buying a Sigma 105 (Canon fit) for £170 from Wex. They seem to go from about 190-230 generally from what I've seen, and the Tamron 90 seems to go for a similar amount.

edit: these prices are for used lenses!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back