Looking for best External Hard Drive

Name
Trevor Mc Grath
Edit My Images
Yes
I got this External Hard Drive (Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB2.0) last year and have been using it to store my Photos on it but over the few weeks It is beginning to loss photos after a day or so.

Can someone please recommend a better type of External Drive?

Ya,

If I upload photos (Which are in their Raw State) today.When I Open the drive tommrow with the Raw reader the name of the file or photo is but it's blank

If you have a windows machine you could try running Check disk. This is run from the "run" option in the start menu. The command is chkdsk [drive letter:]/f

The/f option is fixproblems. run it without this just to check drive.

As far as drives are concerned I have heard one or two comments that the drives run hotter than some as the power supply is located at the base of the unit. I wonder if this could be the source of the problem?

As far as other drives are concerned I have 2 Maxtor drives ( one 4 years old) and Freecom. All have behaved faultlessly. I've also a LaCie Quad drive, but that's only a month old.

Sorry posted my reply after you responded. Can you see the files in explorer ?

A dvd writer is a better option than a hard drive for long term storage.

For £20 or so you can buy a hard drive enclosure & then buy standard sized drives of your choice to fit inside, its much cheaper this way & as a bonus the hot transformer is on the outside!

For £20 or so you can buy a hard drive enclosure & then buy standard sized drives of your choice to fit inside, its much cheaper this way & as a bonus the hot transformer is on the outside!

Did this myself. Got a USB housing for about £4 off ebay (inc P&P) and fitted the old 12gb drive out of my G3 Powerbook. Works fine for keeping my samples on for making tunes. Okay, 12GB is't much but you'll be able to pick up a seriously hefty drive on ebay and do the same.

As far as Lacie drives go, don't get the little Porsche designed ones. On my third now - the other two failed, losing loads of important design work.

The big Seagate ones seem to get the thumbs up a,lot. plus they're cheapf or the capacity.

What about the new Apple Time Capsule? Awesome looks and wi-fi.... mmmmmmmmm :)

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...e/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage&nplm=MB276

Back