Looking for Hares....

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I thought I would ask what are the signs to look for when looking for hares. I'm not looking for locations just habitat tips of what I should be looking for. I know they like hiding in the dips of open fields, preferably near woodlands but is there anything else to look for? I'm thinking a few slow drives around quiet country lanes in the early morning may be my best idea.

Last edited:
You might find people a bit reluctant to share exact spots - every couple of years I see a few in fields by the M62 and then within a couple of days of me first seeing them there are lurchers and greyhounds being "walked" in the area - suffice to say there are never any dogs walked in that area at any other time of year :(

I spent ages looking for hares at sunset. Then one morning after photographing a sunrise I was exploring and found a field full of them in Walton on the Naze. From what I understand they like arable fields, and sunrise is probably your best hope.

You might find people a bit reluctant to share exact spots - every couple of years I see a few in fields by the M62 and then within a couple of days of me first seeing them there are lurchers and greyhounds being "walked" in the area - suffice to say there are never any dogs walked in that area at any other time of year :(

Thats fine I didn't expect people to share exact locations or even place names as I fully understand that sharing exact spots is not a great idea on the internet, hence my post said "I'm not looking for locations just habitat tips". I bet many a hare courser searches internet forums looking for good exact locations. Whilst out this morning, a farmer stopped me and asked if I had seen a blue van with a few guys and dogs in it, I gather the police had just been called too.

What I was really asking for was generalised tips of what habitats to look for, ie crop fields near woodland at dawn etc. My first idea of going for a drive worked out quite well this morning, finding a couple of places from the roadside.

I spent ages looking for hares at sunset. Then one morning after photographing a sunrise I was exploring and found a field full of them in Walton on the Naze. From what I understand they like arable fields, and sunrise is probably your best hope.

Thanks thats what I thought I should be looking for, that and large lumps of mud. well that what I usually think they are before I work out its a hare lying still.

Thanks thats what I thought I should be looking for, that and large lumps of mud. well that what I usually think they are before I work out its a hare lying still.

I think early in the morning they should be quite active. Then go into hiding for the duration of the day before coming out again for the evening.

Thats fine I didn't expect people to share exact locations or even place names as I fully understand that sharing exact spots is not a great idea on the internet, hence my post said "I'm not looking for locations just habitat tips". I bet many a hare courser searches internet forums looking for good exact locations. Whilst out this morning, a farmer stopped me and asked if I had seen a blue van with a few guys and dogs in it, I gather the police had just been called too.

What I was really asking for was generalised tips of what habitats to look for, ie crop fields near woodland at dawn etc. My first idea of going for a drive worked out quite well this morning, finding a couple of places from the roadside.

Yep apologies - should have said large arable fields - winter wheat before it gets too long and established pasture seems to work well - quite often in Cheshire near small copses/features in the middle of larger fields. Also good to check more from now until March when they're gathering I reckon.

Yep apologies - should have said large arable fields - winter wheat before it gets too long and established pasture seems to work well - quite often in Cheshire near small copses/features in the middle of larger fields. Also good to check more from now until March when they're gathering I reckon.
Thanks Pitvar thats great, thats roughly what I thought but it good to confirm it. A few early morning searches over the winter months will hopefully let me find a few good sites before March is here.

somewhere out of town ,near a large town or city ,the dead centre of the town can be a good place to look .just don't fall in any of the holes .

you have to think and look outside the box :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Thanks for all the replays, even the last one. With some more internet research I've found a great blog post about photographing hares, and Andy rouse also past on tips about hares at his show last night too. Just need to get out over the next few months.

Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire downs - hotching with the things.

I used to work on the ridgeway and I regularly saw upwards of a dozen hares in a single field in the area near Avebury , and on the Lockinge estate near wantage ( I'm not giving anything away by saying this , b*****d coursers are well aware of these locations and every field is defended with anti vehicle ditches and gamekeeper patrols (If you want bto go photographing speak to the keeper first)

Arrrrr hares, rabbits. i used to shot them(shotgun) out of a helicopter. on a average day, 300/hour.

look out for poos, small round (small bean/pea size) tend to crap in same spot,
small warn paths in grass land, esp thought fences

"Arrrrr hares, rabbits. i used to shot them(shotgun) out of a helicopter. on a average day, 300/hour."

Thank you for sharing this, just what the op needed to know!!

Rob-nikon, try and get some contacts in lincolnshire there's 1000's in the right areas. One thing I always look for is a gateway or crossing, hares always use the same route.

Last edited:
Back