Looking for models...

lindsayperezphotography

Edit My Images
Yes
I am an upcoming photographer and whilst I have my paid clients every now and then there's comes times where I have lots of ideas but struggle to find any friends who would be up for a shoot.

Does anyone know anywhere that you can find models upcoming or professional that I could work with to build mine and there portfolio.

Any tips or anything is really appreciate it!

lindsayperezphoto.co.uk

Depending on where you're based you should ask a few modelling agencies if they have any new faces/models in town that need new photos. Shoot them an email with some example photos and see if they can help out. Or even drop by with a box of prints after arranging a meeting with them. Of course it really depends on what kind of people you want to shoot.

There's always modelmayhem and purpleport but I've never had to use them.

modelmayhem and purpleport

These two are the most obvious, but you really need to pay to be a member for anyone to take you seriously and without a port you still won't be taken seriously

By far the easiest way I've found is good old Facebook - do a search local to you (by County and Town) and you'll probably find several Tog/Model/MUA groups around you can join

I did this recently for West Yorks and despite posting a casting for shooting outside in January for 4 hours - in the middle of nowhere - I had 27 model enquiries !!! Every type of model too from newbies on TF to highly experienced charging £35phr + expenses

Good luck

Dave

Depends on what you want to do, but do you have a local college that has hairdressing or beauty courses? I've shot for the local college for their make up courses before,think face paint to the max!

PurplePort's basic membership is free and works well enough. You should expect to pay most models from there until you've built your portfolio unless you can offer models something unique - e.g. a fab location, makeup artists, hair stylists.

I used to be on modelmayhem and ...another one,oh, Purestorm... as a 'model'. I never got paid for shoots, occasionally got a fiver to cover transport costs, but I enjoyed it and got to keep all/some of the images so I was happy as I had pictures of me looking good that I could share.
Thinking back it was probably a bit dodgy, as you never really know who you'll be shooting with... and at least one of the photographers I worked with ended up in the paper years later and not for good reasons.

It possibly depends what kind of ideas you have. There's so many aspiring young models who would jump at the chance to work with any photographer who has experience.
It helps to have some good feedback though, or to allow chaperones to come along on shoots. This can make people feel safer, and as long as they sit quietly shouldn't cause too much hassle.

This biggest issue with not paying someone is that you may not get a high caliber model who knows how to pose, but some people are just naturally good at it. Good luck!

A lot of cosplayers will jump at the chance for a free shoot too, if you were looking for something specific, many can be found on social media, or at comic cons.

or to allow chaperones to come along on shoots.

Allow? I insist on there being chaperones at least for our first time together, and all my shoots are outdoors too in a city so nothing like as 'dangerous' as a studio could be

Chaperones protect both sides and I usually bring my own too as another photographer, female if one's free

Take care of your models and you're also taking care of your good name :)

Dave

Allow? I insist on there being chaperones at least for our first time together, and all my shoots are outdoors too in a city so nothing like as 'dangerous' as a studio could be

Chaperones protect both sides and I usually bring my own too as another photographer, female if one's free

Take care of your models and you're also taking care of your good name :)

Dave

You're a rare exception in modelography land.

These two are the most obvious, but you really need to pay to be a member for anyone to take you seriously and without a port you still won't be taken seriously

By far the easiest way I've found is good old Facebook - do a search local to you (by County and Town) and you'll probably find several Tog/Model/MUA groups around you can join

I did this recently for West Yorks and despite posting a casting for shooting outside in January for 4 hours - in the middle of nowhere - I had 27 model enquiries !!! Every type of model too from newbies on TF to highly experienced charging £35phr + expenses

Good luck

Dave
What do the group names tend to be?
[location] modeling?

If you're new and want someone experienced you'll likely have to pay. I recently put an advert on Purpleport and stated i was new to shooting models and looking for someone and willing to pay, I've been inundated with messages and offers. I live in a fairly small town so will have to travel/have them travel to me.

If you're wanting more TFP you'll get less offers and more no-shows than someone who want's to get paid.

What do the group names tend to be?
[location] modeling?

A big Group close to me is simply called

West Yorkshire Photographers and Models it has over 3,500 members

Another more national one is called Photoshoots and has just over 8,700 members with many advertising that they are organising Photoshoots (obviously lol) and others are welcome to join in, usually shared costs, sometimes more as tuition is given

Try variations on those :)

Dave

Back