Looking for off camera flash

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
hey guys and girls
looking to get a couple of off camera flashes and just wandering what to buy
i have a 5d iii and a canon 430 ex ii

looking at Yongnuo YN-622C-TX TTL Wireless Flash Controller but other than that what else do i need to get two off camera flashes running either using my canon 430 ex ii or buying another two yongnuo flash if mine is not compatible

ideas please

The first consideration is if you want to shoot in manual mode or ETTL or flit between both. For manual mode and radio triggering, a Youngnuo YN-622C Transceiver would be required for each flash and one on the camera, or use the TX on the camera. The TX is easier to use compared to diving into the camera menus. Just about any old single pin flash with a safe trigger voltage for the transceiver could be used, or connect the transceivers to a Studio Strobe if owned or likely to be owned. For ETTL exposures, any flash which is ETTL compatible will work, from such as Canon, Metz, Nissin and Youngnuo. The TX will allow the mixing of manual and ETTL flashes in separate Groups if desired. It is always possible to revert back to the Canon optical wireless system provided one of the ETTL flashes has a Master capability and is used on Camera, these tend to be the high level and therefore expensive models like the old EX 550, EX-580 and Metz AF-58. The EX-430 only has Slave capability. This arrangement needs line of sight and doesn't work well in brighter light and has limited range, I'd avoid it, taking into account how cheap the Youngnuo 622 system is.

My own setup is a Canon 5D2, one TX and 4 Transceivers. I have 2x Metz ETTL flashes and one Nissin ETTL flash, plus 3 old Nissin 360 manual flashes. I find the Youngnuo remotes to be very reliable.

I brought a cactus system, maybe worth a look

As well as the 622 C TX you will also need a Yn622C Transciever to go on each Speedlight, a cheaper option is the Yongnuo RF603 although you will not be able to use TTL and will have to change the settings on each Speedlight manually. I use the YN622 for the last reason alone. I prefer to use manual when off camera. As to the Speedlight you will only need 1 extra Speedlight as the Canon is compatible.

To start with I would concentrate on using the triggers and getting used to what you can do with 1 light, add a cheap 5-in-1 reflector as well and add more lights when you reach the limits. From experience adding too many lights too soon makes it a lot more complicated.

Yongnuo 622-TX on-camera, then 622 transceivers for each flash gun. YN 565 is a good choice for extra flash units, or 568 that adds high speed sync and optical mastering.

Also consider the brand new YN 685 gun with 622 receiver built in, though it's still a bit of an unknown quantity and not widely available yet.

Ok cheers for that I'll get a tx and one 622 transceiver to have a play around then get another tongnuo flash and transceiver as I want the ettl function just in case

Back