Beginner Looking for Video and Photo upgrade in one device

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

I have recently started making my own video content to promote my business on YouTube (automotive). I currently use a Canon G7x Mk2 for photos and iPhone 12 Pro in 4K 30 HDR for video. The photos are fine for what I need, but I'm struggling a little with the quality of the iPhone 12 Pro's video, especially if I zoom in on whatever I am recording. I have bought a decent Tripod, Shure Mic and Gimbal etc for my phone, but I guess computational processing can only achieve so much, and I need something better quality

I want to try and replace both devices with a single device which can be used for photos and video please. I have looked at Sony ZV-1, but from what I have seen on YouTube, the difference isn't huge between the 12 Pro and the Sony. Does anyone have any views on this please? The size and price are great, but I would like a decent upgrade on the 12 Pro. Is Panasonic GH5 a good option? I would prefer to work and upload in 4K (I have a great spec PC and plenty of storage so that side shouldn't be an issue).

Also, on a side note, I have noticed I seem to have a fair bit of 'wobble' and 'vibration' when recording on my tripod - items being placed down and foot steps. I have a plastic type tile flooring, which I presume is causing this issue. Is there a way to eliminate this please?

Sorry for all the newbie questions

Any thoughts and advice appreciated. I've done a little reading, but as you can probably tell, I am new to all of this!

Thanks.

Hi Russ,

I've been researching this topic too - and I like the look of the ZV1. Even though the iPhone 12 is a phenomenal video camera for the size, it doesn't have a zoom lens, so when you "zoom" the video, it's cropping digitally - and so the resolution of the video gets lower, and eventually breaks down if you zoom in too much. The ZV-1 on the other hand, has a 24mm-70mm zoom lens, allowing you to crop optically as you would with a full size cine camera. Its one-inch sensor is also much much bigger than the iPhone, gathering more light for the equivalent scene. More light, more signal = better signal:noise ratio.

Beyond the ZV1 there's its bigger brother: the ZV-E10 which has an even larger APS-C (or "super 35" in movie circles :p) sensor, and a Sony E mount allowing for any amount of lenses to be used with it.

Or - if you want to "go large" you can now pick up used BlackMagic Ursa Mini 4k cameras for around £1700. This one with the Canon EF mount:-

The Mini 4K is not a great low-light camera but as long as you are lighting the subjects enough it will produce excellent results. It also has a global shutter (!) (reads the frame in one go instead of line by line) which means no rolling shutter effects of any kind when you pan. This is still quite rare, even on high-end cine cameras I think it introduced some constraints which probably resulted in the poor low-light capabilities as BlackMagic abandoned it for the next version of this camera.

Last edited:
I’ve just got a Fuji XT30 and I’m fairly impressed with the video from it. Depends on your budget though.

Back