looking into buying a flashgun (help)

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i've got a canon 1000d and im looking into getting a flashgun (relitively cheap please) as iv never really used flash before so dont know what im looking for :LOL:.

i would also like to know what i need in order to use the flashgun when its not actually on camera (if that makes sense).

also i have an old flash gun from a film slr which wont work on the camera itself but would it work if i got what ever i need to use flashes of the camera.

god i hope that makes sense.

thanks in advance :)

For off camera flash you should read up on the strobist stuff.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

For a cheap starting point you'll want to look for cactus/PT-04 triggers on ebay or through gadget-infinity.

I think that I am correct in saying that f your old flash has a high trigger voltage then you want the cactus V2 receivers which work with the v2 or v2s triggers.

You can also use light triggered remotes which are cheap but you need your on camera flash to trigger them - which you might not want.

that's the sort of thing - why do you think that it wont use your old flashgun? What is your old flashgun?

As I said, I think that the V2s has a 12v limit on the trigger voltage on the flash whereas the V2 has 300v - please check that, dont rely on my figures.

the old one is a starblitx 6400twin or something like that :LOL: cant remeber of the top of my head.

so really v2 would be better than v2s as it gives me a wider choice of flashes?

EDIT: i've just read on their site that i could buy the v2s pack but also use a v2 reciever for the other flash :)

and with the v2 thing added i dont neccessarily need a flash that works with the camera it just needs to be compatible with the trigger is that right?

I bought a Nissin Di622 from 7Dayshop.Com It has TTL on the camera, but using the onboard flash you can use it as an infra red slave. It is quite cheap, but well made and has a lot of functionality to it. I would recommend it to anyone, only bugbear is it wont work with my radio slaves due to there being no FULL MANUAL function on it:shrug:

the old one is a starblitx 6400twin or something like that :LOL: cant remeber of the top of my head.

so really v2 would be better than v2s as it gives me a wider choice of flashes?

and with the v2 thing added i dont neccessarily need a flash that works with the camera it just needs to be compatible with the trigger is that right?

I don't think they sell a V2 trigger any more (thats the bit that goes on your camera) but the V2s trigger will trigger both the V2 and V2s receivers (the bit that goes on the flash). Use the V2s trigger for low voltage flash units and the V2 for high voltage ones (subject to the upper limit of - I think - 300V).

These are for remote flash only, the trigger sends a wireless signal and the receivers go >FLASH<

But you cant put a camera flash on at the same time as the trigger.

yeh i tried to edit my post saying id read on there that the v2s works with the v2 :LOL: but messed it up by quoting it and then couldnt work out how to delete it :LOL:

but just the last question can i get any flash? aslong as the trigger voltage is compaitable with the recievers? or do i still need a flash that is compaitble with the camera?

For use with the triggers any flash that has a manual function. The point of camera compatible flashes is that when used on the camera they will be told by the camera what iso/focal length etc youare using and will use that to set how the flash goes off. That functionality isnt available on remote triggers (well it might be on skyports or something - but certainly not on the cheap ones).

Lots of people use very cheap flashes with remotes. The TTL flashes are more expensive.

Have a good read of that strobist site. You can do more with flashes with more features, but there is a trade off. At the moment I am quite happy with flashes costing under £10. When I am better at this sort of thing I'll spend more but until then cheap is good in my book.

Read through the threads here for opinions on higher quality remotes (at higher prices) etc.

Matt, if you want to go Canon then either look at a used 550EX - don't know the price but have a look on fleabay - or go for a 430EX, they are brilliant!! So easy to use and very powerful. The Sigmas also have a good reputation

Matt, if you want to go Canon then either look at a used 550EX - don't know the price but have a look on fleabay - or go for a 430EX, they are brilliant!! So easy to use and very powerful. The Sigmas also have a good reputation

i've been looking at the 430ex but the cheapest iv seen it is £130ish still :LOL: so i will get one in the future but for now i have bought a Jessops 300afd flash which i have to say is very very bright :( :LOL: only tried it in my room so quite close to everything and no matter what i do it always overcooks it :(.

also ordered some pt-04 triggers (or what ever they were called :LOL: )

Matt L, a mate has a Canon AF Jessops jobbie and it's impressive for the £60 or so he paid. Just get to know how to use it in different situations (fill-in/indoors/full flash outdoor) and you'll be loving it :)

Back