Looking recommendations for a Nikon lens with a little reach.

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I am looking recommendations for a Nikon lens with a little reach. For the last couple of years I have been using a sigma 17- 70 mm that I used for basically everything from landscapes and portraits and all everyday photography. This lens is a little old and tired like myself and has developed a focus squeak when I try to focus for shots and sometimes the image is out of focus. I have started to look for a replacement go to lens but would like a little reach with my next lens. Hopefully I can pick up something that is not too expensive.
The body / camera I am using is a Nikon D7200..

Do you want a 'do everything' lens with a bit more reach, or would you consider a pair of lenses - e.g., what you have now(or perhaps a replacement if you are unhappy with it), plus a telezoom?

I was indeed looking to settle with one lens, when I said more reach I was thinking along the lines of a 18- 300 but not sure if i would need that much or am I going to much ?? Is there a middle ground lens 18-200mm possibly ..thoughts on this please.

The nikon 18-300 f6.3 afs g is probably about the best in the 300+ range and better than the tamron 18-400 by most accounts.

That said it’s not going to be wonderful and I just don’t like superzooms - you have convenience but that is all.

Far better in terms of optics and can be cheaper is something like any of the af-p nikon’s including the cheap and great af-p 70-300 VR DX coupled with a standard zoom:

16-80 nikkor best but expensive

another sigma ? ( don’t know these )

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 a016 Nii - wonderful lens and cheap as chips. My standard zoom - fast AF but a bit noisy for some.

18-55 af-p if you don’t need a bright zoom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,​

I use a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS Lens and have been very impressed for the price​

IMHO the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary Lens circa £300 is well worth a good look.​

Nikkor 18-105 or 18-140, Isn't the 18-140 the default 'kit' lens for the D7500?

Personally, I've not owned any DX glass even though I had a D7100 and now a D500 so my knowledge is 'limited' and I am sure there is no FX lens that covers the same range unless you are happy to go for a 24-85 or 24-120.

Going for something versatile like the 18-200 means a compromise on IQ. Having something like a 18-70 (I loved that lens) and say 55-200 or 70-300 will give you better IQ BUT 2 lenses rather than 1.

For prints up to A4, the 18-200 Nikkor will deliver plenty of IQ, especially if it's stopped down a stop or 2. The 70-300 will deliver A3+ at a similar quality level. Not got or had an 18-300 so can't comment on its performance other than to say that in general, the greater the range of a zoom (in terms of focal lengths) the more compromises there are.

Back