Beginner Looking to buy a flash

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of advice.

Looking to buy a Nikon speedlight and not sure what the major differences are between the SB-600, 700, 800 and 900 are.

Any recommendations for a beginner with flash photography?

I have got a cheapy Yongnuo 565EX that I got from Amazon. I've dabbled with it but not used it too much. It certainly made a difference indoors shooting pics of the kids though!

It'd be nice to use a Nikon one and the Yongnuo as slaves to my Nikon D810.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wez

Why not another Yongnuo? What do you think a Nikon flash will improve?

Personally I think if you're thinking about using them as 'slaves' then a cheaper speedlight, some radio triggers and a portable softbox etc are a much more sensible option.

Good advice Phil, just bought a Nissin for my sony, quite impressed

Personally I would go with a Nikon as you will have more control of it from your Nikon camera.
However if you are shooting off camera then as Phil said, I would buy a cheaper speedlight.

Matt

Thank you all for the advice.

I don't know why I wrote that because I didn't actually mean to use the nikon as a slave :confused:

Mainly it'd be on the camera instead of the pop up flash. The Yongnuo one that I use isn't very intuitive, has a loosely translated manual with it and it's hard to find information and help for it. Which is why I think I'll be better off with a Nikon.

I have a flash stand, umbrella and wireless triggers. I was using my D600 to trigger the Yongnuo as a slave. :)

Why not another Yongnuo? What do you think a Nikon flash will improve?

Personally I think if you're thinking about using them as 'slaves' then a cheaper speedlight, some radio triggers and a portable softbox etc are a much more sensible option.

Do you have a Yongnuo, if so is there much of a difference between that and a Nikon flash? Only ever used Nikon myself.

Do you have a Yongnuo, if so is there much of a difference between that and a Nikon flash? Only ever used Nikon myself.
I have 3 of them, not as well built as Canon, but they have all the features.

Reliable and cheap.

Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of advice.

Looking to buy a Nikon speedlight and not sure what the major differences are between the SB-600, 700, 800 and 900 are.

Any recommendations for a beginner with flash photography?

I have got a cheapy Yongnuo 565EX that I got from Amazon. I've dabbled with it but not used it too much. It certainly made a difference indoors shooting pics of the kids though!

It'd be nice to use a Nikon one and the Yongnuo as slaves to my Nikon D810.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wez

In answer to the bit in bold - yes, I do.

Spend some time looking through Strobist and Neil Van Niekerk sites. They aren't definitive by any stretch but I found them to be useful material on how to use flashes both on camera and off camera and I felt they had a good way of teaching stuff. They also specifically focused on what to avoid - direct on camera flash mainly. Interestingly (and from memory) Strobist tended to recommend manual flash whereas NVN seems to favour TTL where the camera takes a leading role in setting flash power.

The key though is the tool itself is far less important than how it's used. You currently have a screwdriver. You're asking whether you should buy a plane. The question I'd ask is it you actually want these tools to do?

would a ring flash be better for smoke photography or a standard flash, cause i don't have the money for some soft boxes

Back