Looking to buy new zoom limited budget

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D5300 and I want to get a long zoom lens for things like Nature, Macro and street photography. I have been looking at lenses and i see 2 that are in my budget range for new lenses but I cannot choose between the two of them. Any help deciding or experience of these lenses would be appreciated.

Nikon 55mm - 200mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-AF-...331381&hash=item1c621ac171:g:kDEAAOSwzgRWzqQh

and

Sigma 70mm - 300mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-Tel...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Can't see HSM mentioned in the description for the Sigma lens and I'm pretty sure that the D5300 needs it (HSM) for AF with Sigma lenses. The Nikon is AF-S which will be OK on your body. It also has VR which the listed Sigma lacks. Personally, I'd go for the Nikon and sacrifice the extra length for AF and VR.

Nikon, it's a capable lens.
Not the best composition, but you get the idea:

008e by Ken, on Flickr

I have that Nikon 55-200 VR. Its ok for the price.

I tried to shot butterflies at 200mm hand held

Nikon d7000 body

but2-18.jpg

That Tamron is a good price, I had not considered Tamron. The shots from the Nikons look good but if you had that extra 100mm you could have got even closer shots, right? Hmmm

Can't see HSM mentioned in the description for the Sigma lens and I'm pretty sure that the D5300 needs it (HSM) for AF with Sigma lenses. The Nikon is AF-S which will be OK on your body. It also has VR which the listed Sigma lacks. Personally, I'd go for the Nikon and sacrifice the extra length for AF and VR.

This is a good point, a lack of VR on the Sigma and the other suggested Tamron lens, although they are 100mm longer than the Nikon I feel VR might be worth having more than the extra 100mm.

I'd say 300 is too long for street. I tend to use less than 200 for the kind of shots I take.

They are a bit bigger on Flickr :)
Fringe 2017 5 101e by Ken, on Flickr

Nikon 55-300mm is around £160 Buy it Now on Ebay. I can't comment on the lens as I'm a Canon user but the extra 100mm will be very useful for wildlife and it has image stabilisation.

I've had the random and Nikon 55-200 and 70-300 ago,they were all good and all had vr which I would recommend

I wouldn't get the Tamron. It's not one of their best to put it mildly.

The VC version is miles better and well worth £200 ish for secondhand.

I have a D5300 and have got a Tamron 13-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC as the only lens I use on it. I still consider myself a beginner but I didn't want to keep changing lenses (which was why I gave up SLR over 40 years ago - just gone back as retirement hobby). I think it may not be the best at 300 but it is very flexible.

Back