Looking to get first lighting set up, advice very much needed!

Cris_L

Take That's Biggest Fan
Name
Cris
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm going to buy some basic studio lights for use at home on family and friends.

I've seen so many different options and suggestions i thought I should ask the guys who know...

So for starters do i need a one or two light set up (I already have one flashgun with remote). I've seens kits that come with umbrellas, softboxes, continuous lighting, flash etc and I'm a bit confused as to what would be a reasonable place to start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, the easy bit - go for studio flash, not for continuous lighting.
Umbrellas and softboxes are just different tools for producing softer light. Umbrellas are cheaper and less bulky than softboxes but don't control the light as well.

Take a look at the various articles in the Lencarta learning centre, then come back with specific questions, I'm sure there are quite a few people who can help.

Have a look at ricknunn.com and lightenupandshoot.net. Both have some nice articles about startup kit.

as Garry said don't go for continuous lighting, I found it more use as a heat source than for lighting anything :cautious:

Lencarta certainly seem to get good reviews, I use Elinchrom but I'm not honestly sure I'd recommend them because the softboxes etc are stupidly expensive and I've had a few fall apart which is disappointing at the price they are

as Garry said don't go for continuous lighting, I found it more use as a heat source than for lighting anything :cautious:

Lencarta certainly seem to get good reviews, I use Elinchrom but I'm not honestly sure I'd recommend them because the softboxes etc are stupidly expensive and I've had a few fall apart which is disappointing at the price they are
BTW, you can now get Lencarta softboxes to fit Elinchrom and other lights...

yes

I have similar and for learning it's fine, sorry Garry

I'm glad you're happy with it, but that doesn't make you right.
Inadequate modelling lamps, limited power adjustment, the inability to fit light shaping tools, inconsistent power and inconsistent colour temperature all make life very difficult for anyone, let alone someone who is just starting out

Inadequate modelling lamps, limited power adjustment, the inability to fit light shaping tools, inconsistent power and inconsistent colour temperature all make life very difficult for anyone, let alone someone who is just starting out

You are of course right but it does force you to try harder and get it right! I started with a zenith e which taught me so much!

thankyou gary, can you suggest a setup at the cheaper end of the range that would be suitable... would this be acceptable?

Sorry for the hijack, but is £250+ the cheapest you can get away with?

thankyou gary, can you suggest a setup at the cheaper end of the range that would be suitable... would this be acceptable?

Sorry for the hijack, but is £250+ the cheapest you can get away with?

Yes, that's ideal.
In theory you can spend less by getting just one light + stand + radio trigger and add to it later - which is a good idea because you'll learn much more easily with just one light - but it doesn't make sense because kits are heavily discounted.
1 light, 1 stand, radio trigger, 1 umbrella = £230, complete kit = £270...

BTW, you can now get Lencarta softboxes to fit Elinchrom and other lights...

Well now! Lencarta 120cm Octa folding softbox £129, to fit my Elinchroms... :naughty:

might go for the one including the background.... lets just see how those ebay items im selling go.... another £400.... poof!

Hmmm....i could afford £150 happily but think I'll need to sell some stuff to get a Lencarta kit. what My plan was was to buy the ebay kit then replace the lights with Lencarta ones piece by piece as my expectations increased - would cost more in the long run but its hard to find the cash in one go these days.

Hmmm....i could afford £150 happily but think I'll need to sell some stuff to get a Lencarta kit. what My plan was was to buy the ebay kit then replace the lights with Lencarta ones piece by piece as my expectations increased - would cost more in the long run but its hard to find the cash in one go these days.
You'll get similar effects to the cheap lighting kit with a couple of hotshoe flashes mounted on stands, and if you've already got the flashguns you'll only need the stands and bits and pieces - might be worth thinking about until you can afford decent lights...

Thanks for the advice Garry, I think I'll see if i can stretch to the £305 kit IF i can sell a few bits and bobs on ebay. I'll then get £30 off one of your courses too which is something I wanted to do within the next 6 months.

Thanks for the advice Garry, I think I'll see if i can stretch to the £305 kit IF i can sell a few bits and bobs on ebay. I'll then get £30 off one of your courses too which is something I wanted to do within the next 6 months.
Just to let you know that the only courses available for now are the ones listed on the website, although the plan is to start them again in April next year - not my decision so I can't guarantee that, but I think it will happen as they're very popular

I've bit the bullet and ordered a lancarta starter pack with softbox..shoudl hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Good decision and you'll enjoy it - but on Friday I'm afraid, not tomorrow, as you ordered it after the despatch deadline:crying:

No, sorry, but I can give you the tracking No. (when I get it), you can ring the delivery depot and ask them

Here is an analogy for you..

When you bought your first camera, chances are it was not a DSLR, so you spent whatever it was on your first camera, but how fast did your photography outgrow it?

If you spend absolutley rock bottom, you will soon want more..

Having said that, I have a pair of lower power versions of this that I was given, but one head has a loose connection but same fittings.. I am passing them on free to a good home. all bagged up. One softbox included with an option on a 150CM box to fit.

I was in your situation earlier in the year and glad I held off as mains lights would have held me back as I have no real space for them..
I now have the Lencarta Safari portable system... More suitable for me..

I've been looking at some studio lights and considered 2 or 3 different kits then realised that I was shopping by (lowest) price. After some deliberation I've decided on Lastolite Lumen8 400w twin softbox kit. With some accessories it'll come in at circa £500, about £150 more than my original budget but I figured good robust kit with some good spec and should probably last a good few years.

Paul

You won't regret your decision Cris, I love my Lencartas :)
So fast, easy to adjust, learnt loads since buying my initial set up in February, just added a 3rd light with a 95cm softbox to the studio.

Thanks Laura, got the day off work tomorrow so as soon as they arrive I can have a good play.

Always comforting when others back up your decision, especially when it has the tone of 300 quid!

I've been looking at some studio lights and considered 2 or 3 different kits then realised that I was shopping by (lowest) price. After some deliberation I've decided on Lastolite Lumen8 400w twin softbox kit. With some accessories it'll come in at circa £500, about £150 more than my original budget but I figured good robust kit with some good spec and should probably last a good few years.

Paul

i did the same, and have decided on a lencarta setup, now time to raise the funds :)

Well they arrived today, had a quick play (after taking ages figuring out how to assemble the softbox!) - seems very good quality. However I'd SERIOUSLY under estimated their size and how much room is required to set them up.
My living room is just about big enough I think, fortunately I have a box room I can use for storage but it'l be too small to be the studio like I had planned!

Glad you like them Cris, i'm still debating whether to go for the Lencarta Smartflash or the ElitePro, trying to weigh up the pros and cons as to how much difference the ElitePro lights will really make. i'm slowly being drawn toward the SmartFlash 3-head Softbox/umbrella Kit + background, as get everything I need to get started and can just about afford it now. Or carrying on saving for a bit longer and then get the ElitePro Professional Portrait Kit, oh decisions decisions..... lol

Glad you like them Cris, i'm still debating whether to go for the Lencarta Smartflash or the ElitePro, trying to weigh up the pros and cons as to how much difference the ElitePro lights will really make. i'm slowly being drawn toward the SmartFlash 3-head Softbox/umbrella Kit + background, as get everything I need to get started and can just about afford it now. Or carrying on saving for a bit longer and then get the ElitePro Professional Portrait Kit, oh decisions decisions..... lol
Decisions decisions...
Why not give me a ring on Monday? If I know the type of photography you want to do and the amount of space you have available I may be able to help you to decide.

Garry, I don't suppose you know a way of setting up your lights with limited space do you?
I think you'd better ring me on Monday too:)

Back