loop newbies

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Looking at going to the mach loop with my mate next week at some point, what knowledge and tips can the wiser hands give us?

Is there a paticular day thats best or a way to check if anyones flying (I'm bus/training it up to meet my mate then driving over the next morning so will be mighty sore if we sit on a mountain all day :D). Any good places to sit?

Anything anyone who knows the scene can add will be appreciated ;)

Cheers,
David

Hi David
As you have never been there before, my advice would be to go to Cad West.
Accessible from the A487, If you are coming North to South, The car park is on the right after you enter the valley. Cad West offers a top view of the aircraft as they enter the loop and bank right. Optimal lens size should be 200mm to 300mm, with 300mm being the standard.
There is no guarantee of any aircraft at all, you can wait hours and longer for a single plane. When that comes into sight, then it's 40 seconds of high adrenalin rush. The rewards of a shot that is in focus and is sharp gives great pleasure when viewed on the screen. I use shutter priority on a Nikon of 1/800 or 1/1000 for fast jets, and 1/125 or 1/250 for prop. Hope your panning technique is good. Pick a good a day as is possible and take clothes that will keep you warm and dry, it can get quite cold up there with the wind chill factor. A small tent if you have one is good to take or a large umbrella, I kid you not these are essential pieces of kit. There is nothing worse than being up a mountain cold and wet.

Allan

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Looking at going to the mach loop with my mate next week at some point, what knowledge and tips can the wiser hands give us?

Is there a paticular day thats best or a way to check if anyones flying (I'm bus/training it up to meet my mate then driving over the next morning so will be mighty sore if we sit on a mountain all day :D). Any good places to sit?

Anything anyone who knows the scene can add will be appreciated ;)

Cheers,
David

There also www.flylow-flyfast.co.uk loggin into the forum, we're a friendly bunch of aviation photographers.

Cad East, (Farmers track) or Cad West (from the Carpark as stated) are good places to start. There are many more locations (Bwlch, Corris Corner, Blue Bell Hill etc), just depends how adventureous you are at climbing up a hill.

Things not mentioned are, wear proper boots, take extra layers of clothing etc, and be prepared for rain. Standing around all day, if you ain't properly prepared you could be in trouble. Cad West is pretty exposed, take a mat (something similar) and shelter yourself over the fence from the wind.

300mm is about the standard for most locations on the loop, 200mm is abit short. A 100-400mm zoom lens would be ideal

Peter

Hi David
As you have never been there before, my advice would be to go to Cad West.
Accessible from the A487, If you are coming North to South, The car park is on the right after you enter the valley. Cad West offers a top view of the aircraft as they enter the loop and bank right. Optimal lens size should be 200mm to 300mm, with 300mm being the standard.
There is no guarantee of any aircraft at all, you can wait hours and longer for a single plane. When that comes into sight, then it's 40 seconds of high adrenalin rush. The rewards of a shot that is in focus and is sharp gives great pleasure when viewed on the screen. I use shutter priority on a Nikon of 1/800 or 1/1000 for fast jets, and 1/125 or 1/250 for prop. Hope your panning technique is good. Pick a good a day as is possible and take clothes that will keep you warm and dry, it can get quite cold up there with the wind chill factor. A small tent if you have one is good to take or a large umbrella, I kid you not these are essential pieces of kit. There is nothing worse than being up a mountain cold and wet.

Allan

If i remember correctly you didnt get a single thing on your first day, and we was fogged in all day!! :bang:

don't say stuff like that :O it's gonna take forever to get there I want funky pics :D

David still

Good luck!! remember some good walking boots and a walking pole is handy but not essential. Just take up your essential gear, camera, and the lens you intend to use, try to pack light and like allan said be prepared for anything from a nice day with 10 -15 passes to a glum/wet/windy day and no passes. I and a few others up there carry a quickpitch tent, there small, light and if the weather turns bad there essential for keepin you and your gear dry. If using cad west then climb over the foot style and follow the sheeppath across the side of the hill eventually turning left and following the fence line, Keep an eye open for a railway sleeper acting as a fence post, anywhere around that area is good depending on your lens.

David,........ hope you've had some planes through by now, had quite a few flying over my house @ midday, 20 miles south of the Loop.

Good luck, I'll be up there tomorrow :)

on way home had a low tornado and 3 low harriers since last post. will post images later but still got 3 hours of driving

the one that wouldn'tplay was about 9/10 ish and the low three were about 5 ish I think, can be exact when I have timestamps here

gotta go to work so no pics :( (not even on comp yet) but will try when get back

Back