Losing my va va voom

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
I am losing my va va voom in photography and need a kick up the backside.

I am thinking a course would help, but there doesn't seem to be too much offered in Dorset with variety (other than landscapes) and although I prefer hands on, I am wondering if Kelby Training would be any good.

Would anyone recommend these online courses?

Combine it with another hobby or interest... this usually gives you fresh subjects to photograph.

Try project based work. Don't just walk around with a camera hoping to take photos... that's the most stupid way of working ever. Think about what you want to photograph before you even think about picking the camera up.

Look at loads of work... go to galleries, read magazines... immerse yourself in imagery... get inspired.

Wise words from David, to add to that i try to limit my self to just taking one lens with me, it helps to focus yourself and to work harder at getting the image you set out to take.

You could consider doing a distinction and booking an assessment date... that could focus the mind!

Don't just walk around with a camera hoping to take photos... that's the most stupid way of working ever.

That's street photography written off... :D

No way of working is stupid if you have a reason for doing it.

Walk around enough and you'll might well find that you take pictures of the same handful of subjects. When you look through a period's worth of photos you might be able to identify those subjects and think about what makes you photograph them. Then you can concentrate on and develop the ideas in a more focused manner. Try looking back through your photos and see if any strong themes emerge that you can work on.

Or try setting yourself a challenge. The other day I set out to take six decent photographs at a location in one hour using one camera and one fixed lens. I didn't expect to achieve the goal (as in there was one reasonable pic), but it made me think about what I was doing and look at things more intently, and I got ideas for other photos/projects out of it. The nature of the challenge is less important than the way it will make you clarify your thought and vision.

The hardest part of any creative practice is being self-motivated. Keep ploughing on. (y)

That's street photography written off... :D

Not really... you still need to identify a style you want to work in.. there's still a reason to consider what you want to achieve. Plus... you'd already know you wanted to achieve "street photography" before you set out with your camera if you'd thought about it first. That in itself is a reason for picking up your camera.

No way of working is stupid if you have a reason for doing it.

But having no idea what you want at all is.

Try looking back through your photos and see if any strong themes emerge that you can work on.

But that's what I'm talking about... consider a theme, or reason FIRST. You're actually agreeing with me.

Just think about what you want to achieve. Set a goal, or a theme, or a subject.. plan it.. where will you go.. in what style will you shoot.. above all, try and consider the reason for taking the shot. Who will be interested, and why?

Looking at the work of others is definately a good way to be inspired. Strangely enough, going out without a camera seems to cause ideas to occur to me. Murphy's law at work I suppose.

Not really... you still need to identify a style you want to work in.. there's still a reason to consider what you want to achieve. Plus... you'd already know you wanted to achieve "street photography" before you set out with your camera if you'd thought about it first. That in itself is a reason for picking up your camera.

I see you still suffer from smiley-blindness.... :p

Really liked the idea of a theme or subject. My son was throwing out toys so I have commandeered two new friends/subjects - bionicles.

Today they were helping me bring a bit of fun back into my photography - but must've looked a bit odd on our walk amongst beautiful scenery and I was setting up my bionicles in different stances :). Will post a couple on later.

Same here, my photography has stalled, mostly to do with this horrid weather.

So I've put down the camera and picked up my synth (y)

As soon as the weather picks up, so will the photography.

:)

A little bit different but if you were smiling when taking then then it counts as a success. :D

Nice pics Donna,
I like the idea and particuliery "sid enjoys the view",
looked like fun.

That little Sid series is cool.

I don't think the weather is helping much though especially if you like standing by the coast!!

I've done A-Z project before & managed a 365 in 2011. There's lots of other stuff to do too. Take just one lens, inner city is great if you like random or detail shots, etc Decide to go out & just shot bicycles, signs, anything that's rusty [gates, padlocks, etc] or objects that are solid, bold colours....

Your imagination is the limit ;)

That little Sid series is cool.

I don't think the weather is helping much though especially if you like standing by the coast!!

I've done A-Z project before & managed a 365 in 2011. There's lots of other stuff to do too. Take just one lens, inner city is great if you like random or detail shots, etc Decide to go out & just shot bicycles, signs, anything that's rusty [gates, padlocks, etc] or objects that are solid, bold colours....

Your imagination is the limit ;)

Great ideas, thanks. The Sid shots were fun and really gave me something different to focus on. Like you say, imagination is the limit - which is where I was struggling but with everyone's encouragement on this site, I will have more focus.

I was thinking of starting a 'where's walley' series with Sid (perhaps in the warmer weather).

Back