Lossless Video To Exe Convertor???

Edit My Images
Yes
I currently convert my video to MP4 using H.264.

If I wanted to convert this to an .exe file are there any lossless convertors you would recommend?

What is a .exe file? I always thought it was an executable file!

Perhaps you can explain what you want to do with end video?

MPEG Streamclip is a decent free transcoding tool but again I wonder what you mean by "lossless" as any transcode / compression will have some effect.

What is a .exe file? I always thought it was an executable file!

Perhaps you can explain what you want to do with end video?

MPEG Streamclip is a decent free transcoding tool but again I wonder what you mean by "lossless" as any transcode / compression will have some effect.

Like Chappers posted above, it needs to be a standalone, self-executing file, not requiring the latest codecs to be installed on the host machine.

If not lossless then obviously with minimum impact on the quality.

I've never done it before so I don't understand if the MP4 is altered at all or whether it is just packaged together with the relevant player, codec in the compiled exe file.

I'll take a closer look at your suggestion later but it looks like an encoder/player.

Last edited:
not entirely sure why you'd want to make it a .exe file...

just make sure that it plays in windows movie player, then it'll play on all PCs.

If you do it as an mpeg4 then any version of media player from about the last 12 years will be able to open it as it as its a standard high quality video codec that is almost universally used these days.

If you do it as an mpeg4 then any version of media player from about the last 12 years will be able to open it as it as its a standard high quality video codec that is almost universally used these days.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the mpeg4 part doesn't fit the 'self-executing exe' criteria that I am looking for.

I guess the 'almost universally used' part of your comment is possibly a key part to the criteria set :)

Try this:

http://download.cnet.com/MakeInstantPlayer/3000-2064_4-10759598.html

It makes a .exe file of any video file and opens the non recompressed file in its own media player, you can tell it to include the relevant codec of the original file in the .exe or not, that way it should be able to play on nearly any computer. I tried a video encoded in a fairly obscure codec (Lagarith lossless codec) and after uninstalling the codec it played the generated .exe file fine while other media players could not play the original file.

Be warned though that it does take a while to encode (about 15 minutes for a 5 minute clip) and does take a couple of minutes for the file to open but other than that it seems to meet your requirements.

BTW, when the program is installed, it doesn't create a shortcut, you have to open it from the C: program files.

Last edited:
Try this:

http://download.cnet.com/MakeInstantPlayer/3000-2064_4-10759598.html

It makes a .exe file of any video file and opens the non recompressed file in its own media player, you can tell it to include the relevant codec of the original file in the .exe or not, that way it should be able to play on nearly any computer. I tried a video encoded in a fairly obscure codec (Lagarith lossless codec) and after uninstalling the codec it played the generated .exe file fine while other media players could not play the original file.

Be warned though that it does take a while to encode (about 15 minutes for a 5 minute clip) and does take a couple of minutes for the file to open but other than that it seems to meet your requirements.

BTW, when the program is installed, it doesn't create a shortcut, you have to open it from the C: program files.

Thanks I'll have a look. Encoding time isn't an issue but the 'couple of minutes for the file to open' will be. Do you mean the compiled exe is taking that long to open?

Last edited:
The file opens quick but the media player takes a couple of minutes to load and start playing the file. Just encode something with it and try it yourself.

The file opens quick but the media player takes a couple of minutes to load and start playing the file. Just encode something with it and try it yourself.

I will do, when I'm back on the PC. Every one I come across has a niggly little issue of one sort or another. That's why I was looking for recommendations.

I realise that there might be commercial reasons why you cannot tell us everything but it sounds like you might have a client that is asking for "the impossible".

As far as I know there is no single universal video codec that you can guarantee will work on very machine without some kind of a download / plugin.

Can you give us some more information on the "project" and I might be able to offer suggestions.

TE

I've been testing out the MakeInstantPlayer that s162216 suggested but it appears to be quite limited by the file size you convert and won't convert my larger files.

The loss of video quality and the delay between pressing play and when it actually plays and it's probably a non-starter.

Any other suggestions for stuff you would recommend for this type of thing?

Last edited:
I realise that there might be commercial reasons why you cannot tell us everything but it sounds like you might have a client that is asking for "the impossible".

As far as I know there is no single universal video codec that you can guarantee will work on very machine without some kind of a download / plugin.

Can you give us some more information on the "project" and I might be able to offer suggestions.

TE

As well as the full HD versions that has been distributed already, I have been asked to provide a standalone, self-executing exe. It shouldn't be reliant on any media players or codecs installed on the host Windows machine.

The self-executing exe should contain all of the required software to play the video.

I understand now that some type of conversion is likely to happen during the encoding phase into the exe. But the video should play at or as near to original quality as possible.

On the player above there is a loss in saturation but that is something I might be able to work around by coloring the original differently.

Back