Beginner lost all my photo's

Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys
just got back from a few days in Yorkshire and loaded up the computer with my shots from the card, decided to open them in window onboard photo viewer while i look through them, on loading them up i checked them over and there was a couple of blurred ones taken by accident, i decided to erase the blurred ones and clicked delete, whoosh, it came back and said no files on the card, somewhere my photos has vanished too, there are not in the recycle bin nor anywhere i can find.
Anyone have any idea where they may be or have all gone...

You will need to try some sort of recovery software, Google will provide many options
SanDisk did at one time include a free code for their own solution.

Without trying to sound like Mr Clever Clogs, but why don't you back up your photos at the end of the day?
Its so easy now with memory being very cheap or access to the cloud.

My method is copy to a 128gb micro SD card in a tablet or even a phone.
Only need a suitable card reader to plug into the device, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reader-Jia...card+reader+usb+++type+c,computers,47&sr=1-18

Last edited:
many thanks, it probably would have helped if i actually downloaded them first instead of reading of the card, oh well its my own fault..

I might be being very stupid here but you said you, " loaded up the computer with my shots from the card," Then when you decided to delete a couple of blurred ones you got the message there were no files on the card.

If you had loaded the computer with shots from the card then aren't the shots on your computer? Also, is it possible when you put the shots on to your computer could you have cut and pasted them from the card, rather than just copying them? If so, then there would be no files on the card when you tried to do a delete.

Dave

DO NOT use the card again until you've attempted a recovery as has been suggested.

When a file is deleted, it's only its address that is deleted not the file. It will still be there for a recovery program (I'd recommend Recuva too) to restore it for you. :) (y)

hi guys
just got back from a few days in Yorkshire and loaded up the computer with my shots from the card, decided to open them in window onboard photo viewer while i look through them, on loading them up i checked them over and there was a couple of blurred ones taken by accident, i decided to erase the blurred ones and clicked delete, whoosh, it came back and said no files on the card, somewhere my photos has vanished too, there are not in the recycle bin nor anywhere i can find.
Anyone have any idea where they may be or have all gone...
Was the memory card still plugged into the computer when you checked the recycle bin, or had you removed it.

Was the memory card still plugged into the computer when you checked the recycle bin, or had you removed it.
not sure on that, bu t i took the card to the camera and it also reported no images..

BTW let us know if you get them back ( or not)
the program has started on its merry way, it says it could be up to 2 hours so will report back tomorrow unless its not too late..

many thanks, it probably would have helped if i actually downloaded them first instead of reading of the card, oh well its my own fault..
If you use the sd card it has a write protect tab on them, switch this over, you can only view or copy the photos across to your computer. That's how I got into the habit of protecting my work before I got into editing or deleting photos

I also back up on my Amazon photos before i even think of editing the photos on my drive

not sure on that, bu t i took the card to the camera and it also reported no images..
If you connect a memory card to a computer and delete its contents, and then open the recycle bin the contents of the card will appear in the recycle bin. If however you remove the memory card from computer before you open the recycle bin the contents of the card will not appear in the recycle bin. At least that’s how it works on a Mac, I would have thought that a PC would have worked in a similar fashion.

If you connect a memory card to a computer and delete its contents, and then open the recycle bin the contents of the card will appear in the recycle bin. If however you remove the memory card from computer before you open the recycle bin the contents of the card will not appear in the recycle bin. At least that’s how it works on a Mac, I would have thought that a PC would have worked in a similar fashion.
Thanks I have never thought of that ill look next time I do something so foolish

Been there and done that also

I now come home and have two external memory banks (or whatever they are called). I download the photos onto a file on my desktop (typical file name is place and date) then copy that file onto both of my external as passport things.

I'm still new at all this really so only have files for 2021 and this year but already have approaching 500 GB of them stored (jpeg and raw). Don't know why as half of them will be terrible and I won't edit them, but I think I've become a little addicted to collecting and storing them lol (sad I know).

well guys, i must say Recuva worked very well but alas i think i know whats happened. As the computer told me no images i took the card to the camera which again said no images , so i formatted the card in readiness for next time, i am gutted but would like to thank all that has helped me here tonight, thank you and god bless.
I will save first next time, lesson learned..

I will save first next time, lesson learned..
One tip I learned from here is to use multiple cards. That way, if one card is lost, corrupt etc it’s only a day or half a day’s shooting that’s lost, and not the whole trip’s worth.

Back