Lost my jpeg viewing in folders

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Windows 10 user and my computer has just done what looked like a major update, the problem I have is if I have a folder of jpeg images on my desktop and open it they don't show as images example below, if i move an image from the folder onto the desktop it opens as an image, need help please.

Capture.JPG

Perhaps the lack of thumbnails is what mikew is referring to.

Looks like you have (or it auto set) "view" to "details"

Click on View and you should see the choice(s) icons...pick/select as appropriate...you should then see thumbnails in the explorer window.

HTH :)

Last edited:
Looks like you have (or it auto set) "view" to "details"

Click on View and you should see the choice(s) icons...pick/select as appropriate...you should then see thumbnails in the explorer window.

HTH :)

Thanks that sorted it but it looks like ime going to have to do it with every folder and i have a lot.

Thanks that sorted it but it looks like ime going to have to do it with every folder and i have a lot.

I don't know of any setting that will make it change globally......but once per folder you have selected the view you want it becomes sticky. So yes, an extra step but sorted 'as you go' :)

@mikew

I am glad my help "helped".

The update you mention, this might have been the W10 update to version 1903, this one as I read it has the native function to show RAW files (just as it does with JPEGs).......have you shot any in RAW if so do have a gander and report back :)

This function may not be for all makes & models of camera so if it does show the RAWs, please say which make & model you have :)

PS FWIW I have v1903 on a delayed install (completed once I do a Restart) but want get some processing done and off to the printers beforehand, just in case I get an glitches that delay me;) (NB my W10 is Pro 64 bit ~ AFAIK Home version installs 'then & there'.

It doesn't show Panasonic or Olympus raws as images G9 ,G80 ,EM1MK11 OR EM10MK11

You need to install an app from the windows store after you’ve got 1903.
I’ve had it running all day but not there yet.
FWIW there is a way to get folders with predominantly images in them to default to thumbnails but it’s not in my muscle memory and I’m not near my pcs.

You need to install an app from the windows store after you’ve got 1903.
I’ve had it running all day but not there yet.
FWIW there is a way to get folders with predominantly images in them to default to thumbnails but it’s not in my muscle memory and I’m not near my pcs.

V1903 took something like 4-5 hours yesterday to DL and get to 'restart' to complete.

Re: an App to see RAW files......that does ring bells now you mention it :)

You can change the default view globally in: Control panel - File Explorer Options - View

I use Windows 7 so I'm not sure if it can applies to Windows 10 too, but try it anyway...

Go to your own main folder (not any of the sub-folders), it could be My Documents or whatever main folder you have. In your case, it could be the 2019 waiting for filing (unless this is a subfolder, in which case, open whatever folder is 2019 waiting for filing is in).

First: You need to set up the view you like, in this case, change the view from details to icons. As per Box Brownie's posting (post #5). When you have done that, the next task is to make all sub folders have the same thumbnail views.

Click on the File tab.

Click on Change folder and search options (according to a website I looked up)

Click on File Explorer Options

If you get the Folder Options box, that would be great. Click on the View tab.

At the top of the View tab, there is what is called Folder views which gives you two buttons.

Assuming if you have adjusted the view in the folder you are viewing, and clicked on the Apply to Folders button, then it would make all sub folders under the folder you are viewing, match the same settings.

Using your screenshot as an example: If you view 2019 Waiting for filing folder and change it to show thumbnails, then you used the Apply to Folders button. The sub folder New Folder will then have the thumbnails view too. But the others like Jokes, Test, and To post on Nikon won't change from details to thumbnails, which means you would have to adjust each folder's view options one by one.

But if 2019 Waiting for filing, Jokes, Test, and To post on Nikon are all under one top folder, then you need to go to this parent folder, view it, change settings, then apply the Apply to Folders setting. It will make all sub folders (assuming if 2019 Waiting for filing, Jokes, Test, and To post on Nikon are subfolders) match the settings.

You can change the default view globally in: Control panel - File Explorer Options - View

Thanks but it looks to me as though its already set for that, just not doing it.

Capturemm.JPG

Windows 10 user and my computer has just done what looked like a major update, the problem I have is if I have a folder of jpeg images on my desktop and open it they don't show as images example below, if i move an image from the folder onto the desktop it opens as an image, need help please.

View attachment 248102

Click on 'View' ... are you set for 'List View'?
If so choose e.g. 'Large View',

Thanks but it looks to me as though its already set for that, just not doing it.

View attachment 248142

Well, I have no idea but only a wild guess.

It could be because you're viewing them from Library. You need to click on This PC then click on the folders after folders until you view the actual folder itself, not viewing it from the Library. You need to adjust setting and apply setting to all folders directly from the folder itself, not via the Library. Go to This PC which is Windows 10 version of the old Computer from Windows 7 (and used to be called My Computer on much earlier Windows like XP). You need to go to something like C:\blah\blah\blah, not open the folder in the Library view.

PS: Update - I thought to check on my Windows 7 to see. It do happen, if you click on a folder under the Library, then use the Folder Options menu, you can't use the Apply to Folders button which is greyed out. But if you go directly to the folder itself, under Computer (or in your case This PC), then you can use the Apply to Folders button.

Last edited:
Back