Lost.....

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have also been experimented with photography for years but have never really mastered the technical side of it. I have been accepted on a Photography course starting in September on the basis of my ideas and I am now studying my socks off trying to get to grips with the technical side. I purchased a Canon 450D and the salesman recommend a Sigma 18-200mm lens.

Right now I am trying to get my head round aperture and such but I am confused about the lens that I have. My portfolio is mainly of people and still life and some of the reviews of my lens seem to indicate it is landscape?

I am interested in landscape however I dont think this will be my main focus on my course and was wondering if it is worthwhile purchasing perhaps another lens?

My head is spinning with information right now!! I would appreciate if anyone could explain the different lenses to me and what my one is ideally good for.

Thanks very much in advance.

My honest advice is pick up an old fully manual SLR camera (film) which can be had for daft money now. Learn to use it and you'll have a far better understanding of the basic technicalities - you'll have to to get anything out of it at all. ;)

Modern multi mode DSLRs are wonderful things, but by their very nature they can be a hindrance to a newcomer trying to get to grips with the basics. They do too much for you, and the multitude of modes are probably something you don't need to be coping with and trying to get your head round before you have a firm grasp of the basics.

As well as the information that is available online you might like to get hold of a book or two. Far more valuable than spending money on lenses if you don't really know what you are doing yet. Don't worry, you will get there, as CT says, go back to basics.
You could try your local library or just get a good introduction book from a bookshop.

whilst film SLRs can be great for their simplicity i'm not sure how they would aid in the learning process any better then just turning a digital SLR to 'M' :shrug:

i think a dSLR is a brilliant learning tool simply because you can instantly review the image which means you can see what you are doing right or wrong straight away. you can mess for hours experimenting with how aperture and shutter speed affect the photo and you can very quickly get a grasp of concepts like depth of field.

with film, you have to wait until you have had your roll developed and then look through the shots, unless you've written everything down at the time you'll have no idea what settings you were using at the time or even what you were trying to create. Not to mention the added costs involved, whereas if you've already purchased a dSLR, taking pics it free :D

Back