Lots of inherited equipment (Canon) - advice please

Name
Matt Wright
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all (hope this is the correct forum) - my Uncle died a few years ago (he was very into his photography). Earlier this month my Auntie gave me all of his equipment. Much of the equipment is very old and doesn't fit my camera. But there was an awfull lot of good things that I have been given. I guess I am asking for advice as what to do with it all

Canon 70-200L f/2.8
Canon 100-400L IS (I presume mk1)
Canon 17-35L f/2.8
Canon 28-70L f2.8
Sigma APO 300mm f2.8
Sigma APO 180mm Macro f2.8
Canon 100m f/2.8 (duplicate - so selling my original one)
Canon x1.4 extender
Canon 28-80 f3.5-5.6 (seems pointless keeping this)
Canon 550 EX

I don't think many (if any) of these are the latest models of each

I guess my questions are - what shall I do with them (you can see my existing equipment in my signature)
Are they any good (even if they are old - they are still good lenses right?)
Would they need a service (if so where would you get these done - and anyone know a rough idea of price?)
Any idea what I should do in terms of insurance - I have no idea how to value them to tell our home insurance

I was also give Canon D60 (not 60d) with battery grip (well actually 3 of these bodies and 3 grips - and loads of batteries)
Again - is the D60 any good / worth keeping (I'm aware the camera is almost 14 years old I think) - is it full frame or crop

In addition there were camera bags, tripods, filters etc

On top of this I was also given the older equipment - which I will post about once I have had a chance to sort it

Thanks in advanced for advice / comments

Matt

Enjoy them.

You've some good lenses in amongst that list.

Hi Matt,

If you check out Ebay you will find that the L lenses there will fetch a fair bit of cash. Enough for you to reinvest in a camera system that you preferred (if that was the intended outcome).
It's perhaps not worth using such large FF lenses on your current camera. Although if it's free and you want to use it, then why not!!

Thanks for replies so far guys
I should probably have made it clear - I wasn't looking to sell the lenses - was just after advice / answers to the questions

I should have also said I have upgraded my camera (since last doing my signature) I have a 70D now

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

If you check out Ebay you will find that the L lenses there will fetch a fair bit of cash. Enough for you to reinvest in a camera system that you preferred (if that was the intended outcome).
It's perhaps not worth using such large FF lenses on your current camera. Although if it's free and you want to use it, then why not!!

Hi Rich

Is there any particular reason its not worth using the large lenses? (or just a case that the lenses are much better quality than the camera)? I have got a newer camera now (canon 70d)

Thanks

Hi Matt,

I'm probably not qualified to answer as I don't own either. I was wary of their physical size due to them covering a FF sensor. The APS-C based lenses are smaller (Typically)
However, I'd guess that the output from those lenses will be great due to your camera sensor not reaching the periphery of the image circle that the lens covers. (Which is sometimes more difficult for a lens to render well!).

Do give them a go and see what you think though, that's the opinion that ultimately matters :)

Wow, what an awesome collection of glass. They'll all work well with the 70d. Insurance, I'm not sure about to be honest. Please go out and enjoy them.

All that gear except the 28-80 and the bodies is worth keeping.

Check it out it's not that old, there's many of us still using much of that gear.

If I were you, I'd sell the 450d and all your EFS lenses, then buy a 6d and enjoy a hearty upgrade, just keep one of the D60's as a curio.

The four Canon L lenses have got to be worth at least £400 each as long as they're in good working order even though they are older versions. The Sigmas are also decent lenses and well worth having a play with. I wouldn't bother with the D60 bodies though as they're very old by today's standards and are crop-sensor even though the lenses would work with full frame.

I agree with the idea of getting a 6D and having a good play with it all :)

I'd keep most, but get rid of 100-400 (and perhaps buy mkII) and 17-35mm (as you have that more than covered).

300mm and 180mm macro should give very interesting results. 70-200mm is excellent lens.

why would they not fit on a 70D???
They would fit.

But they're a great set of full frame lenses, and with all the gear you now have, you can afford to take that step.

If a 70d would scratch your itch, then go for it.

They would fit.

But they're a great set of full frame lenses, and with all the gear you now have, you can afford to take that step.

If a 70d would scratch your itch, then go for it.
He's not the opening poster and the OP has already bought a 70d. I'd suggest using your 70d for now and enjoy the lenses and see if you use them. Could alays sell one or two in the future to upgrade to a 6d.

The 28-70 is an all time classic lens - epic!

The D60 body is worth no more than 50 quid, and it galls me to think I paid 1600 quid for mine all those years ago - three whole focus points! Captures very nice images when you can persuade it to behave tho'.

Lots of interesting comments from above. Thanks for everyone that has replied.

I has no intention of selling to upgrade body because I have only recently bought a 70d - but thanks for the suggestion.

Did anyone have any advice in terms of getting them serviced (if it is needed - and if so where people usually get this done)?

Also did anyone have advice with regards to insurance?

Thanks

Matt

Lots of interesting comments from above. Thanks for everyone that has replied.

I has no intention of selling to upgrade body because I have only recently bought a 70d - but thanks for the suggestion.

Did anyone have any advice in terms of getting them serviced (if it is needed - and if so where people usually get this done)?

Also did anyone have advice with regards to insurance?

Thanks

Matt
Canon for service, it's where it'll end up from most places anyway, but TBH unless you find a problem there's not a lot that actually requires 'maintenance', they either work or they don't.

Insurance? Unless you're a pro, add them to your home insurance, if your current household contents insurer isn't interested, change to one that will. Specific gear insurance for non-pro's is usually overpriced and often rubbish too.

Back